How can I get my 17 month old to eat in her highchair?

I can't get my little one to eat in her highchair. She will only eat if she is out of the highchair running around. I have my mother to thank for getting her into this horrible habit. She had no problems whatsoever eating in her highchair until she started hanging out with her grandma on a daily basis. How can I break her of this? It is very frustrating. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

keileensmom

Asked by keileensmom at 10:46 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put her in it, put the food in front of her, and when she wants out, the food goes away. Do not let her have ANY food if she's not in her highchair. It won't take her long. OR - buy a booster that straps to a regular chair and also has straps to strap her in, and put her up to the table with the rest of the family. But do NOT condone the behavior you don't want going on. Don't break down, or she won't learn.
    Anonymous

• well my 19mos old does not eat in her high chair. She just eats at the table. i would recommend trying to get her to sit at the table. Deja does try to get up but I tell her to go back and she does. She doesn't totally get she is suppose to stay their but since her older brother and sister eat at the table since 14mos she has fought the high chair.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 10:50 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• ""Put her in it, put the food in front of her, and when she wants out, the food goes away. Do not let her have ANY food if she's not in her highchair. It won't take her long. OR - buy a booster that straps to a regular chair and also has straps to strap her in, and put her up to the table with the rest of the family. But do NOT condone the behavior you don't want going on. Don't break down, or she won't learn."" ---- I completely agree with this post. Do not condone behaviour that you don't want your child doing. Any bad bahaviour can be turned around if you're consistant and keep reminding her the right type of behaviour she needs to follow. Don't hesitate to be firm with her and show her that there is a place for her to eat and it's not running around the house.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:21 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I agree with the first answer, but my Son was the same age when He decided He didn't want to use a highchair..I got Him a booster seat and He's been sitting and happy while eating since. Good luck!
    ajtherad

Answer by ajtherad at 1:46 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Put her in, strap her in and announce to her she needs to eat her meal. When she is done, even if she didn't eat much, wash her hands and face, take her out and she has to wait until the next meal to eat again.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 7:37 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• try a booster seat
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 6:25 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I totally agree with the first answer. I have to admit that my child regurgitates while eating and we let her get down and then try to let her snack on the run. I don't want her associating puking and bad feelings toward her highchair. But I have only done this 3 times.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:12 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I agree a lot of kids this age seem to like to be at the table, we have a booster seat at our table too . My son is 18 months old. I would try to re-instill your routine with her. Like many of the mom's said feed her only in her highchair. If Grandma doesn't have a highchair/booster seat at her house than it would be a good idea for her to get one, or for you to give her one so she doesn't have an excuse to feed her outside of the highchair/booster seat. If you and grandma start doing this every meal/snack with her, she will stop resisting since she knows she won't be fed outside of the chair. It's always hard at first, but it pays off when they will eat in their chair. Good luck with this :)
    Borikaos

Answer by Borikaos at 6:23 PM on Nov. 8, 2009