my 7 week old

My 7 week old has acid reflux. He started with similac advance and some breast milk than we took him to the doc bc he was gagging a lot and she switched him to similac sensitive now he wasn't doing bad on similac sens but w.i.c program doesn't supply that milk so they said the closest thing was similac isomil now that milk was making him constipated. We took him to a GI specailist and changed his milk now to similac alimentum. Well he is still cranky and i think he did better on the similac sensitive. I don't know what to do. I hate to see him cranky and fussy like he's been. So now what 'm doing is giving him both milks. Half and half to see if that helps a little. Is that ok?

latinamom94

Asked by latinamom94 at 10:47 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Did anyone explain the difference in formulas to you? Sensitive is lactose free, Isomil is soy, and alimentum is "pre-digested". If he does best on the sensitive, and your doctor agrees with that, he needs to write a prescription for it, for you to take to WIC - they have to give it to you then. Have you tried any antacids for the reflux, or propping him, or anything else besides switching formulas? Mixing soy & lactose-free...well, it's an odd combination, is your doctor okay with that?
    Anonymous

• Why not try all breastfeeding?
    Anonymous

• I know that there are a million and one reasons a mom would choose not to breastfeed. But babies with reflux do a lot better on breastmilk than on formula. They have fewer symptoms and get better faster. And I cannot understand why we continue to be okay with the fact that formula constipates babies so frequently. We need to demand a better product from the formula companies. A baby, ESPECIALLY a baby with reflux, doesn't need to add constipation to his little baby repertoir.

I'm sorry your baby doesn't feel good. Reflux is hard. I am going to beg you to please PLEASE consider breastfeeding. I know you have a good reason for choosing not to, but your baby will feel better, and you will be doing the best thing for him. I'm not trying to be rude, and I am certianly not saying that you're doing a bad job. Babies get reflux when they're breastfed too. But youc an do something to help. PM me for advice on relactating
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:01 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• I was on WIC and my son needed lactose free so the doc had to write a letter to the WIC people so that they could provide that for him. You should def talk to WIC and doc about that because you want what is best for your baby.
    Anonymous

• Isomil most likely will constipate, it is soy based not milk based. I agree with the others, have your doctor talk with the WIC people. And honestly, it does not matter if your baby is formula fed or breastfed, if you baby as acid reflux, then they have acid reflux and if you have not lived with a baby that has it, then you do not know how bad it can be. Many of my friends that have babies that have it (mine included) are EBF. The spit up even from breastmilk is a mechanical thing and it can take awhile for it to correct itself. We are going on 7 months of it at my house. Around 6 months, you may get relief from the crying during feedings and everytime they spit up because the tummy acid usually will stop burning them when it comes up.
    Anonymous