My daughter will be 17 months on december is she to young for a toddler bed?????

Planning to get rid of the crib and getting a princess bed.....

starz16

Asked by starz16 at 10:57 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If she's ready to stay in the bed, I'd say go for it :) With my son, we took the front of the crib off... with our older daughter, we tried a toddler bed and she wasn't impressed, so we put a twin mattress on the floor for a few months then raised it to the mattress and box spring for a few months then the bed frame. A lot of kids are ready by your daughter's age - I'd say try it - if she starts seeming insecure or it becomes a problem, just wait a bit longer :)

Good luck! :)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 11:01 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• We set up our DDs bed in her room and let her get used to it, we had a twin with the rails up. She had no problem with the transition. I think she was a little over 24 months than.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 11:10 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• That is really up to you and your child. I do know that some parents switch their child to a toddler bed before their child is a toddler. Whereas others wait until the second year of the toddler years to switch. There isn't a specific age in which this is appropriate, their can't be. That is because it is whether the parent and child are comfortable (and ready) with the switch.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:18 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• My youngest is 18 months and in a toddler bed because he climbed out of everything else we put him in. We did put a gate in the doorway (the kind that bolts into the wall) so he can't get out (for now, this kid is immune to child proofing) He does pretty good. Sometimes gets up and gets in bed with one of his brothers, but better than in my bed, me and DH take up enough room in it.
    phantomphan

Answer by phantomphan at 12:18 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• My 16 month old is moving into his twin bed next week although we expect the transition to be long since he still cosleeps.
    I chose the twin bed instead of getting a toddler bed because this way I can lay down with him until he falls asleep. Our rooms are both at the end of the hallway and I will put a gate up so that if he wakes up he can only go to one of the two rooms.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:25 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• No. Mine all switched to a toddler bed on their 1st bdays.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 1:45 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• My daughter switched on her 2nd birthday. If I could have I probably would have switched her at 18 months. She fell out of bed maybe twice. However, keep in mind that you will have to deal with them pretty much having free reign on getting out of bed (until they learn they cant). Nighttime wasn't too bad on this, but nap times are still a challenge! lol
    lilmama2be

Answer by lilmama2be at 8:30 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• With our dd she slept in her room great all night long and when we made the switch at 19 months she figured out that she wasnt trapped anymore and started coming to our bed, since she was so little and ds was newborn in a crib we just let it be now we are having a tough time getting her to stay in her own bed in our room, let alone her own room.
    sarahdicksonjr

Answer by sarahdicksonjr at 9:11 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I have been told all my life by everyone and their mothers that I should wait until my child can climb out of his crib to switch him. Maybe you should wait until then. But your her mother it's up to you.
    DessaG20

Answer by DessaG20 at 6:40 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• That's honestly up to you and your daughter. When the switch takes place is based on how comfortable you and your child are with the idea. If you think your child is ready for the switch, and you're comfortable with them being in a toddler bed, then go ahead and switch.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:59 PM on Nov. 7, 2009