Unreasonable SIDS fears?

My daughter is closing up on 18 months old. We have coslept from day one, and only recently has she started sleeping in her crib at all. She sleeps there for her naps and for the first stretch at night. Lately she's been going to sleep late, and so she's in bed and then I follow soon after. I lay awake and worry about SIDS. I worry that I'll wake up in the morning and find that she didn't sleep through the night, she DIED in the night. I have heard that SIDS risk disappears at 12 months... true?

Also, she likes to sleep on her tummy a lot... is she at an age where that's okay, or should I still do my best to keep her on her back?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 11:30 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes your fears are unreasonable. That being said I know where you are at. I still do the same thing with my four year old son. If I wake up before him I get worried that something must have happened. lol. SIDS really is pretty uncommon past 6 or 7 months. I don't think there is a risk of SIDS at 18 months. I coslept with both my sons (still do with the younger one). It is hard getting used to not having them right there wth you. Try to relax and not worry about it so much. Don't let it make you loose sleep, you need all you can get. As for sleeping on her stomach, yes that is fine too. They back-to-sleep thing is when they are too small to roll over by themself. By this age she should be mobile enough to lay on her stomach.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 11:37 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• sounds like you have some anxiety issues, at 18mo she should be cleared of that danger. maybe talk to ur doc
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 11:35 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Sids usually isnt a risk once they can rollover. If you are so worried about it let her sleep in her crib full time. At 18 months they can move around and get comfortable the only way she would die of sids is if u rolled over ontop of her and suffoacted her.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 11:35 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• Watch out for SIDS if you vaccinate.
    Anonymous

• oh wow your fear is extreme. I also had a huge fear of SIDS which got worse and worse with each kid. I have three. Once they can roll over and move themself its safe for them to sleep on their belly. In fact thats how my 19mos old sleeps. I had bad anxiety about SIDS as well as still born and pregnancy issues...always feared something would happen! But as far as SIDS once they were 6mos it was not as bad and by a year I didn't really think about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Anon :59 I have read that Japanese study and I selectively vaccinate, and did not give her ANY vaccines until she was 13 months old. To date she has only had two shots.

Thank you, everyone, I'm going to try to relax about it a little.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:39 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• SIDS ,if its going to happen will be in her first year of life.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 7:37 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• yes, sids is sudden INFANT death syndrome..... not toddlers lol. just try to relax. everything is fine
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:17 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• SIDS is typically because they can't roll themselves over when they can't breath. Vaccination may increase that risk, but there are numerous studies that show SAFE cosleeping actually reduces the risk. I think you are a bit extreme in your worry, but everyone is different. Personally once they can roll over I really don't worry too much about it and once they are 1 year old I really don't worry about it at all. We cosleep, breastfeed, and do not vaccinate either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Nov. 7, 2009