K-5 Weekend project????

My 6 yr old dd in K-5 was given a weekend project to do that is very time consuming. Trouble is she left with her grandma for visitation tonight and wont be back until bedtime Sunday night. I am sitting up working on this thing now which I will have to do all weekend. Should I have just asked the teacher for more time? The grandma wouldnt have done it with her. GRRRR!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 PM on Nov. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Why does a 6yo have a weekend time-consuming project to do? Send in a note on Monday that DD had other plans this weekend and you will do it with DD Mon and Tues nights instead (unless it affects a whole class activity or something on Monday.) in which case, just don't send her to school that day or send her in without. Did you know about this before or what? Sounds kind of ridiculous for K.
    Anonymous

• I would just tell the teacher that she was away for the weekend and the time was not available. Request more time.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 11:54 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• the whole point of a project or homework is for her to learn from it she's not going to do that if she's not there to do it. if grandma won't help her do it i wouldn't have let her go to grandmas. They both need to understand that school comes first.
    jen699

Answer by jen699 at 11:56 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• She brought her homework sheet in today for the weekend at this was on there. Yes it sounds like a lot. And I had to send her for the visitation. This is more like 2nd grade at least.
    Anonymous

• Their makin school harder and harder.
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 11:58 PM on Nov. 6, 2009

• this is not high school, and although she needs to be taught that school is important, she is not going to fail 1st grade because of one project.
    I would meet with her teacher and make sure to let her know that you find it innapropriate. Tell her that you want your child to learn the importance of education but you feel that weekend is still family time and homework that takes longer than an hour is cutting into the small amount of outside of school time you have with her.
    If you dont feel comfortable with that, tell her that you sent her for the weekend before you realized how time consuming the project was and you will get to it later. Ask her to email you assignments in advance if they are going to take longer than an hour.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:31 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I think she should be given until Tuesday morning, but I do also think kids SHOULD be challenged more, because as a whole, our country is becoming stupider as our schools are dumbed down. Send the note in and then get the project done Sunday night and Monday afternoon/night. Show her hard work is EXPECTED not something she should find a way out of any way she can. Her brain and later earning potential will one day thank you.
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 6:12 PM on Nov. 7, 2009