Women who chose to be childless

I have a friend that feels very strongly that there is something wrong with women chosing to be childless! I don't really care either way, But I do think it's great that some people recognize that they shouldn't have kids!! What's your opinion?

nellyb118

Asked by nellyb118 at 12:06 AM on Nov. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• I too think it's great when someone can recognise when they don't want kids and can be strong enough to deal with the societal pressures placed on them to have children.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:10 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I think whatever floats your boat! I personally as wanted to be a Mother for as long as I can remember, and eventhough I can't say that I understand how they could NOT want children, I can certainly respect them for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I understand both sides of the coin but I do think its strange that some dont have that desire.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:13 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I don't think of women who opt to be childless any different then I do with children. A woman is not defined because she has children. Becoming a mother only adds one more dimension and character trait to a person. I think that your friend should try to look at both sides and realize that what is good for the goose isn't always good for the gander. Me personally I'm grateful that people recognize they should not be parents instead of popping out a child and abusing or neglecting them.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 12:20 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Mt little sister is childfree by choice. I respect her for knowing what she wants and I wish more people would be honest with themselves instead of bringing unwanted children in the world.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 1:20 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I used to not want kids, I hated crying and whining and all that jazz. Then I hit high school lol. I loved my little sister when she was born my senior year. I got pregnant with my daugher shortly after I started college and am now 21 and pregnant with my 3. Some people just dont have a maternal instinct or might like children after the crying whining messy drooly ages and now they cant get to the age they like without the ones they dont so they chose not to have kids. I know a woman so dedicated to her career that her nieces are good enough for her.
    mommyin07n08

Answer by mommyin07n08 at 1:31 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I don't find anything wrong with women who want to be childless, we all have a free will to live our life how we want, so I don't see why others feel that they have to judge other women for the choices they make.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:32 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I knew a woman who had very strong opinions that women are here for the purpose of being a mother. She believed God's purpose for women was to ultimately be a mother. I have to say I don't agree. I believe women have the right to choose the path that is most right for them.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:05 AM on Nov. 7, 2009