Seriously considering LASIK eye surgery......any advise????

My husband and I are seriously considering eye surgery for me. I already looked up all the stuff i need to know...im just a little nervous. Has anybody had this procedure? Did it hurt? Can you go permently blind if the dotor screws up??

MommyTurtle1985

Asked by MommyTurtle1985 at 12:18 AM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Health

• have you seen the "How it's Made" episode on laser eye surgery? You can probably view it on you tube.

I'm afraid to have it because I think i will screw up and rub my eyes and blur them for life. I dont have the self control for the surgery or healing process. I am a chicken.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:24 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I never had it done by my friend had her eyes done and she looooves it and gained tons of confidence.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:59 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I had mine done and LOVE IT!!! You will have to keep your hand awa ffrom your eyes for a while. But the healing was super fast. I was able to see well that day, and it was amazing the next.

I should tell you that....I had scar tissue built up under my lense and they had to go back in and do a "lift and scrape" let me tell you the recovery from that was the worse thing in my life!!!! (I have had 2 kids one all natural) But I took some heavy duty sleeping pills and the next day it was great. All better. I would do it all over again...preferably with out the 2nd one but I would still do it again to be contact and glasses free.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 4:31 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Does it hurt while they're doing it??
    MommyTurtle1985

Answer by MommyTurtle1985 at 10:20 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• How do you keep your head still? HOw do you eyes stay out
    MommyTurtle1985

Answer by MommyTurtle1985 at 10:22 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I had it done December 1, 2007. My husband had his done 5 days later. It was one of the best things we've ever done! We had bladeless LASIK. I would never have the one with the blade. The bladeless cuts down on recovery time and the halo effect of lights at night. With the blade, you can see halos for like 6 months, but without it, the halos only last a couple of weeks. My doctor had me wear only glasses for a week. Then I had an extensive exam that measured every aspect of the eye, the thickness of the cornea, the curvature of any astigmatisms. Then (same day) he gave me Valium and Xanax, and put me in a cozy dark room to relax a bit. It didn't help much because I was scared and bouncing off the walls, LOL. The room was in between two laser suites.
    Cont.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:18 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I went into the first one, where the doctor put retractors on my eyes to hold them open (definitely a gross, weird feeling), and after putting in a ton of numbing drops, he used a suction device to hold my eye in place. It didn't hurt, but it did leave a little hickey on my one eye that faded after about a week or two. An eye bruise is really common from the suction, but it's no big deal and again, doesn't hurt. He used pressurized gas bubbles to cut open a flap in the cornea. I watched the whole thing when my husband had his done and that was the grossest part. The eyes were numb though. The scary part is when he flips the cornea up and puts gel under them to keep them from sticking back in place. That's the time when you can't see anything. The cornea opens and your sight goes black. As soon as the cornea is back, so is some sight. After he put the gel on the eye and folded the cornea back, I went to the other room
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:22 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• where I laid down under other laser machine. He opened my cornea again, put in more drops, and I stared at a red light for like 30 seconds while I heard the laser clicking away. Then he put the cornea back in place, used a little thing to sort of stamp it down right. More drops in my eyes. That was basically it. They checked to make sure the cornea was in the right place and taped plastic shields over my eyes that I wore for that day and every night for the first 5 days to make sure I didn't rub my eyes. The exam was a couple of hours, but the procedure itself was maybe 5 minutes. It was painless and easy. I had some irritation and burning a few hours afterward and my eyes felt dry and gritty for a week or two. My vision now is better than any glasses or contacts were able to correct it. It's AMAZING. I was completely freaked out to do it, but I'm so glad I did. My husband's experience was the same.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:26 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Oh, and for the week following LASIK, you get tons of drops that you have to use. One for antibiotics, one for steroids, one for something else I can't remember, and tons of lubricant drops for comfort. Use them, and you'll heal great.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:28 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Good Question. I'm also seriously considering this because I've been wearing contacts/glasses for a very long time and I want something permanent also. I go to one of the best opthamologist in my area so as soon as I can save the money-I'm going for it.
    MandyT1021

Answer by MandyT1021 at 12:54 PM on Nov. 7, 2009