You turned to Jesus, your life is changed, you are better off...

Years ago I was having a discusion with a co-worker. We started talking about the Catholic religion. They made a few remarks and I had to throw out a few Hail Marys. I was immediatly told Mary is not a mother.

At this moment another co-worker chimed in and said she gave birth that seems like a mother to me. She went on to say Mary had changed her life and her Son is always ready to help when we ask her to pray for us. We were told to be quiet so the debate stopped.

There are two questions I have always wondered:

If you believe Jesus is the Son of God, d0 you think Mary is a mother ? How can you say no?

Have you experienced a time where Jesus turned your life around?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe in a higher power...and I believe that something happened all that time ago....I cannot say specifically Jesus...but I am greatfull for everything God has given....God has been there with me during times I thought I was alone, I simply could not see it during those years but now I look back and see how much worse it could have been...I love my life now and if it meant I had to learn that hard way....then it was worth it......love has turned my life around....and love comes from a higher power :)
    Danickasmom

Answer by Danickasmom at 12:27 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I have always believed Mary was the mother of Jesus. I don't understand why there should be any debate about that. It's just a simple fact. She gave birth to Him. However...what I DO debate is whether she has any power of her own. Being Protestant, I don't think she does. She was a very special woman, but she was human and she's been dead a long time. She is not a deity, and has no powers. Why say prayers to her? Being Catholic, could you please answer this? I am genuinely curious about this. Where did this come from? Do you know? What are your beliefs on the matter?
    SaraCVT

Answer by SaraCVT at 12:43 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Oh...second question. Sorry about that. I think Jesus has a way of turning things you think are awful at the time into things that are good for you long-term. I have an example. When I was pregnant with my twins, I went into premature labor at 28 weeks. Awful, right? I was terrified. I was at the hospital, and they told me I was dilated 2 centimeters. I was so afraid I was going to give birth and the twins wouldn't survive. The doctors were afraid, too. They gave me a steroid injection. This injection was designed to speed up lung development so IF the twins were born, they would have a better chance of survival. Everybody prayed, and labor stopped. I DID deliver prematurely, but at 33 weeks, not 28. The girls had to stay in the NICU for 5 weeks, and all the doctors were amazed that they didn't have to stay longer and didn't have breathing issues. I firmly believe that steroid injection, which I wouldn't have
    SaraCVT

Answer by SaraCVT at 12:49 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• had without the premature labor, shortened their stay in the NICU, and am grateful to this day for the horrible, terrible, premature labor that caused me to go to the hospital and get it. Thank you, Jesus.
    SaraCVT

Answer by SaraCVT at 12:50 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• SaraCVT- congratulations on the twins, I wouldn't however classify that as a miracle. A miracle is something only God can do, therefor there would be little human involvement. I call what happened to you as divine intervention, God allowed you to go into labor enough so that your girls could get the steroids. In my case He interviened in a different way. They were born at 32 weeks . They were in NICU for 3 weeks and had no breathing problems. God just chose to spare them that issue.

As far as Mary, of course she was the mother of Jesus. Jesus was all human and all God at the same time, how God did that I don't understand. Since God created the human reproductive system I assume He would know how to do that physically impossible task.

As to how humans relate to Mary. I see her as a woman of great faith. She was maybe 15 and yet she was willing to risk death by stoning, to be used in this most special way.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:45 PM on Nov. 7, 2009