How is the best way to get a 4 year old to take medication in pill form which is a capsule that you can break the crystals and pout them in applesauce or pudding because I've tried getting him take the pill on his tongue and he'll spit it out so what else can I do?

wandaluv

Asked by wandaluv at 2:51 AM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Kids' Health

• It is every rare to see a doctor give a 4 year old a capsule for medicine. Normal pills I use put it in a big spoon full of pudding and tell them this pudding is speical if it hit his tummy really fast he gets to : Then you tell him whatever you know will make his day like he gets to stay up an extra 15 mins or play outside an extra 15 mins or extra cookie and so on. Good luck, but if all else fails call the doctor and get it turn in liquid midicine.
    MCNETT_MOM_68

Answer by MCNETT_MOM_68 at 3:04 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• crunchy peanut butter and jelly sammy. He wont know hes crunching on a pill. Or peanut butter smeared on celery.
    My sister stil to this day has problems swallowing pills, so my gramma used to crunch up tylenol into peanut butter for her. It masks the taste.
    If he doesnt like PB&J try crushing it up and putting it in milk, or puddin as you suggested.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:00 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• If it isn't a delayed release pill then grind it up with a spoon and then put it in some peanut butter or jelly or something else like that on spoon.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:40 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I have been giving my daughter her meds since she was 2 weeks old, she will be 4 in a month. Try putting it in a syringe ( cut the tip so it's a little bigger to get the beads through... and add some juice with it) the squirt it in the back of his throat. I had to do this for a long time. But thankfully mine has been swallowing her meds in pill form for a while now! Hope this method works for you!!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 10:13 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• You can open it up and put it in food, but do not crush the little crystals. I usually bribe my son with something after....but I would call your doc-it's rare that you would give a 4 year old something like this and maybe you can get it changed? If it's something you will HAVE to take, ask him for suggestions.....good luck! I know kids and medicine can be a battle!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• My Mom used to crush children's pills and sprinkle it on icecream. I eventually learned never to accept icecream when I was sick though.
    Anonymous

• I am taking it that it is the gel capsules that pull apart and have the powdered meds in it? If so, pull apart and put in a spoon of applesauce. Don't just put the powdered on his tongue, that is just nasty and tastes bitter. Don't crush the meds any further. My son had ADD meds that had to be pulled apart until he learned to swallow a pill. I started by having him swallow mini m&m's. He had to swallow a few then he got to eat a few. Worked wonders.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:13 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I agree with pp...we have 3 ADD children and we taught them to swallow them whole with tic tacs...but all of their meds are time released, we couldnt break them open and offer them in another form. The biggest problem we had was with the youngest one when he started at 6...but he's always balked at any medicine. Took a few bad mornings...you know, the whole who's going to win this, you or mom...and we can do this the easy way or hard way type of fight....but within a week, he was swallowing them like a pro. Patience...I think medicine is another area where parents HAVE to be the parents...if a child needs a medicine for whatever reason they have to take it, there isnt a choice involved.
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 9:00 AM on Nov. 9, 2009