Reborn Doll Question...I need some opinions from women of varying faiths. It is for a paper. Thank You.

Okay let me explain...I just need opinions so that I can prove there is a pro-Reborn Baby side and an anti-Reborn Baby side of the argument. It's not a debate paper or argument. It's just to show something in modern times dealing with religious issues. If you want PM me and I will explain the religious issues at hand with the dolls.

I already have some sources but I would like to be able to make both side's a little stronger by saying, there's this site of moms and they are mixed opinions on the issue.

What are your thoughts on Reborn Babies? If you want to share why it deals with your faith thanks, you don't have to. Also, I need both positive and negative opinions please...if you don't want to share in public you can PM me.

Also...just so everyone knows...I have no strong opinion on either side which is why I chose this particular subject.

OneToughMami

Asked by OneToughMami at 3:01 AM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am a Christian and I can't really think of anything wrong with them unless you turn them into an Idol (something you place before God) I think alot of the women who get these reborn babies go to an extreme with them and some of them actually believe they are real live babies. In my personal opinion as a hobby or to remember a child that you have lost it is fine.But when you become obsessed with them and addicted to them and they become your life they become an Idol and that's when it becomes a problem with God. Also Reborn babies are pretty expensive alot of the women who get them spend enough money to adopt a baby and for some women who go to the extreme with these dolls I think it would be better for their mental health to have a real live child rather than a doll that they think are alive
    ilovemyboys21

Answer by ilovemyboys21 at 3:33 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Thank you for answering honestly :-) and also putting something in that I didn't think of. I don't know if I have enough room to explain kind of the thesis of my paper, but basically what I am saying is that this dolls adress Paul Tillich's Ultimate Concerns (death, survival, identity). I never thought of them becoming an idol...hmmm...I won't add that to my thesis just to stay on track but that is an interesting observation.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:40 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• My aunt has 2 of them. Her kids and grandkids are grown, and the two she has resemble her son and daughter when they were babies. She's not over the top like the women who take them with when they go grocery shopping or things like that, but she has names for them and gets very upset if you handle them "meanly."

I honestly think they're a little creepy just in general, and in terms of helping someone cope, I don't think it's a good idea. I think they suspend the grieving process (or in my aunt's case, make it harder for her to accept she's older and until her grandkids get around to having kids, there are no more LO's in the future). Ultimately, I think they make the problem worse than better.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:09 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I can see where she'd get a little upset though. I was looking at the prices of the customs and wowzers
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 4:14 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Oh, I don't mean swinging them around or anything, I mean not addressing them by name or calling them dolls.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:20 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Wow, I had never heard of these so I looked them up. They are really life like. If I had lost a baby, I couldn't get one of these it would make me too sad. I could see where it would be easy for a grieving mother to go overboard and begin to treat it like a real human. But I love baby teeto! I want him, lol

.Silvermist.

Answer by .Silvermist. at 5:28 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I don't really have an opinion either way (except to say there is no way I would spend that amount of money on a doll! LOL!) From a Buddhist perspective, I could say that for some of those who buy them in memory of a lost baby, it could be a form of attachment.... something you cling to that prevents you from moving on and living in the present. I totally believe that for a mom who has a lost baby it is important to have momentos- photographs, footprints.... but somehow the recreation in plastic of the lost loved one seems more extreme to me. It's not 'wrong' per se... but I can see how in some circumstances it could be a way of not letting go and from a Buddhist perspective, ability to let go is central to happiness.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:42 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Well they certainly are lifelike. But I really do not see the point? I have miscarried before. After that I did not want anything resembling a baby or any baby items next to me. It was too painful. I cannot imagine loosing a baby and then getting one of these fake babies. It would not be mentally healthy.

Now if you have not lost a child and just like them, by all means buy yourself a doll.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 8:51 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I think they are cute but as a mother that had a miscarriage I wouldn't get one due to fear of it taking over and replacing my lost baby, who in my opinion can never be replaced. I am however thinking of getting one for my mom she would love it.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 9:39 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Ok now I am really curious about what this is...
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 9:49 AM on Nov. 7, 2009