Help!! Sleep Trouble!

My son is almost 10 months old, but for the past week he wakes up around 12:30 every night screaming. Not an ordinary cry, but screaming like he has been hurt. The only way I can calm him is to hold him for like 45 minutes. This is not like him, he has been sleeping threw the night every since he was 2 months old. He does not have any teeth coming in right now (he did have trouble sleeping while his teeth were coming threw). I am just curious as to if this is just a phase he will grow out of because it is starting to worry me. Has this happened to anyone else?

kcandie

Asked by kcandie at 3:01 AM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He could be have a nightmare. If you are laying him down about the same time every night and 12:30 is the time he gets into the deep sleep where he would be having a nightamare that could be waking him. Trying getting something for his bed with soothing music even while he sleeps will help.
    MCNETT_MOM_68

Answer by MCNETT_MOM_68 at 3:10 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Yes I agree, sounds like night frights to me. This is just a temporary thing and he'll soon be back to normal. One tip, don't try and wake him up, if you do they tend to get very confused and think you're also part of the scary dream and it takes even longer to sooth them and get them through it. Warmth is very soothing (which is why he likes you to hold him) a blanket wrapped in a hot water bottle will help. Have one of standby, it will remain warm for hours.
    TopBrit

Answer by TopBrit at 3:23 PM on Nov. 7, 2009