How much cereal should I be feeding my daughter? When can I try a new type of cereal?

My daughter is a little over 4 months old and has been eating rice cereal for a little over two weeks. I just have no clue what I am supposed to be doing as far as feeding goes. The doc was vague to say the least.

haberdasher

Asked by haberdasher at 5:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Food & Drink

• She doesn't NEED cereal at this stage, or any other solids for that matter. BUT the next step would be cereal with a little apple sause or bannanas mooshed in. You want to do fruids, then veggies, then meats. Buy or make some pureed food and try a new flavor every 3-4 days, so you can watch out for allergies. Once you have tried a lot of different kinds one at a time (by the time she is 7-8 months) you can start giving her more mixed and more solid things, rather than pureed.
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 5:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• docs are usually vague because all kids are different. My mom used to say that kids don't know when they are full so you have to be careful about feeding them and keep in mind that their stomach is still tiny - they don't need more than a tablespoon. and I agree with sapient. . .try one food at a time to watch out for alleriges. As long as her tongue knows how to swallow you're fine.
    luvbeinhermom

Answer by luvbeinhermom at 12:35 AM on Jun. 26, 2008