Nanny 911? Are you there? Can anyone help me with an out of control two (and a half) year old?

Calling anyone that knows how to deal with an "out of control" two year old! Help me ladies, im losing my mind! I love my DD with all of my heart, but Im beginning to wonder if I can do it anymore. We just had our second baby, and before that my DD really never had any temper tanturms. Idk if its a two year old thing, or because of her new baby brother, or what. Every once in a while, when she is told to do something that she doesn't want to do, She will have the tantrums and during them she will throw herself on the ground, kick and scream, she wont listen, trys to run away from from you. Ive tried time out, that doesnt work anymore, Ive tried spanking, and I hate it, and it does nothing, Ive tried sending her to her room, but she will sit in there and scream and wont stay in there. Its not everyday, but during the last week she has done it 4 times. Im losing my mind. I can't deal with her when she acts this way. HELP ME!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 AM on Nov. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• She is two. This will pass, but you have to decide how to deal with her. Make sure she has plenty of one on one time with you so she is not crazy over the new addition. Time out does work! You MUST be consistant. If you put her in time out, she can scream bloody murder as long as she stays for 2 minutes. If she gets up 700 times, put her back 700 times. Eventually she will learn you mean for her to stay there. Stick with it and things will get better. It is her job to test you and your job to hold your ground.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:03 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Man when you find something that works let me know!! I have a 3 1/2 yr old and a two month old. Hope things get better.
    pinkanfgrl

Answer by pinkanfgrl at 3:16 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Kids can be strang when little brothers and sisters some along so we have to work with them and give them as much attention as you can. Even bad attention to them is attention. You can do 2 things when your DD acts out you can turn and walk away if she follows keeps walking keep going now matter where she follows. Don't let her fits get your attention dont give her attention when she is being bad. When she gives out and stops say are you better now ? If so we need to talk, sit her down and tell her when you act like that it scares me and I don't like it so that is why I wont come around you when you are that way. Or the 2nd way is tell her how you feel before it starts. But I would just make sure you make time for her when the baby is asleep and she is being good tell her.. Even when she is just in her room playing, just pop in say I just wanted to tell you , you are sure being good today thanks and I love you.
    MCNETT_MOM_68

Answer by MCNETT_MOM_68 at 3:23 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• She is in a very hard situation - there is this new thing in the house taking mommy's attention away from me. Even if she has good verbal skills, they really aren't what she needs to really communicate what she needs and how she feels. So, she throws a giant fit when she is upset or frustrated.

Personally, I would stop the spankings. If they aren't working and you didn't spank before the baby, they are likely adding to the problem. Sit with her when she is in a calm mood, while baby is sleeping, and let her know how much you still love her and she will always be your big girl. Try to spend some special mommy time with her; and try to let her help with the baby.

It is really hard for the little ones. My DD was 5 when DS2 was born - she would say really subtle things about not wanting him around. Now, nearly 5 years later, she is the only one that he will read for, and they are the best of friends.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:03 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• __OP HERE__

Thanks ladies. Last night she had another fit, and I talked to her about it again. I talked to her this morning about being a big girl on our erronds today, and she really was very good! As a reward for her good behavior, I took her to the play area at the mall and let her play. When it was time to go, she put her shoes on and no fit was thrown. Wish me luck that she stays acting that the good girl I know she can be. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Nov. 8, 2009