Itchy Welt-looking Things?

My 3 year old woke me up around midnight complaining about her hand just under her thumb itching. It looked like a bug bite, so I put Benadryl on it and put her back to bed. At 2am, she wakes me up again complaining of the inside of her arm itching. I look and there's what looks to be a huge welt there. I look at her hand and it has the same thing. She also has this around her belly button and upper inner leg. Along with that, there are several red spots that itch and other spots that she says itches (feet mostly) that I don't see any sign of anything. I thought chicken pox, but can't find anything associating that with the welt-looking things online. No fever and no aches/pains. Minus the things causing her itchiness, she's completely normal.

What could this be?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 3:08 AM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My 4 yr old had this problem about a week ago. It was an allergic reaction (HIVES) to the spandex/latex in the tights that went with her ballerina halloween costume. I noticed a spot on her arm after dinner and I thought it was a masquito bite. Then after her bath I noticed the spots were multiplying quickly. It took about 3 days for her to get over. She was healthy and energetic otherwise. I gave her a 1/2 teespoon of children's benedryl to keep her comfortable. I would still consult your pediatrician. I do know that if it is hives topical ointments are too helpful because the hives are actually irritated blood vessels under the skin and they move around. An oral antihistimine is likely to be more helpful to keep your child comfortable. But I am not a doctor so I encourage you to check with your doc first. Good luck.
    3LilLadies

Answer by 3LilLadies at 3:59 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• That sounds like skins hives, but needs to be checked by docs.
    MCNETT_MOM_68

Answer by MCNETT_MOM_68 at 3:27 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• impetigo? maybe?
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 10:08 AM on Nov. 7, 2009