Did you drink when you were breastfeeding? Or are you breastfeeding and drink once in awhile?

I havn't had a drink since I found out i was preggers. My DS is two months old now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 AM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I don't drink alcohol at all to be honest. So I wouldn't do it if I was breastfeeding. My daughter is 6 now, and I did not drink when I was breastfeeding her either.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:44 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I'm in the same boat as you, not a drop since i found out I was pregnant and he's 2 1/2 months now. but I'm trying not to drink at all anymore. I'm done partying- and I'm the kind of person that can't stop at just one.
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 4:26 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• nope not a sip as soon as i found out i was pregnant. thats crazy... i bf for almost 7 months, i would never risk harming my baby like that...

i didn't mind that little break, it wasn't like i was never gonna drink again....lol
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 5:50 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I drank on a couple of occasions after my DS was born. I waited until he was 6 months old though for fear he would like the bottle too much. I would pump and dump the breastmilk for 8 hours afterward and feed him milk that i had pumped and stored prior to it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:50 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• The lactation consultant told me that you could drink & you could breastfeed your baby if you didn't feel tipsy. But if you were tipsy, you would need to pump & dump. And somebody told me recently that you could pump & freeze it & it would be fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:18 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I drink occasionally, like 1/2 a beer a week. I can never seem to actually FINISH a beer lol.

Alcohol in your milk works exactly like alcohol in your blood. If you are safe to drive you are safe to breastfeed (excluding those who drive with a buzz, tsk tsk). If you are really worried about you you can actually get alcohol test strips for your milk.
    The only reason to pump and dump is for your comfort, it does not get rid of the alcohol faster.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 8:20 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Every once in a while, I'll have a drink. I didn't drink while pregnant, but having a drink is safe while breastfeeding.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:05 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• my friend's lactation consultant told her the yeast in beer would help her produce more milk bc she started to dry up. she drank beer, little bits, throughout the day. just never to the tipsy point. like half a beer with each meal.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:13 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I drank while I was breastfeeding. My doctor told me that pumping and dumping was a myth, as long as you weren't felling the effects of alcohol then it wasn't in your system anymore and you could safely breastfeed. If you need to pump when you are still drunk then you need to dump it.
    shannonre

Answer by shannonre at 1:56 AM on Nov. 8, 2009