If you were an army recruiter...

If you were an army recruiter, and you had to pick one person, to fill out an under-strength unit, which of the following would you pick if they were your only options, and they were all qualified:

A) A devout Muslim woman, with no criminal record
B) A gay Atheist man, with no criminal record
or
C) A Christian man, now devout but with a previous conviction for domestic violence

Why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:36 AM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• B, because in our current war situation, I would feel like recruiting the Muslim woman would be putting her in a situation where she was pitted against those of her own faith. I know that's her decision, but I would always wonder if I hadn't contributed in making her miserable. Also, with another, neutral option availabe, I would chose not to recruit someone who had a history of violence and anger management problems of any kind.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:10 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• B) It has nothing to do with him being Gay. Religion gets in the way of war. Sense he is not religious, he should not have a problem with it. Like the other two might have.

Answer by louise2 at 7:30 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• good answer louise.I agree.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:56 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• A or B.

A because the military doesn't discriminate against religion or gender

B because again no discrimination against religion (or lack of) and you do not have to say if you are gay or not.

You can't join the military with a criminal background, regardless of religion, gender etc.

.Silvermist.

Answer by .Silvermist. at 8:43 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• A or B, whomever applied first. I understand that you said they were all considered "qualified" but I would consider someone with a criminal record to be less qualified than another person in this case.

Religion, gender and sexual preference are not something I would even take into consideration unless an applicant stated to me that they personally felt that such aspects about themselves would hinder them from performing the duties of the job and keeping themselves and others safe and out of harm's way (which I can't imagine how any of those things would interfere).
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:03 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• A or B. Religion, gender, and sexual preference are discriminatory factors and have no place among our Nations military. The deciding factor between the two would be performance reviews such as physical health assessment and ASVAB scores.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:08 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• uhm religion DOES matter in this war. I would consider all three of them and would need more information on background. Such as the Muslim man is he part of extremist groups? The atheist gay man? (not sure why we can't have an gay guy no religion but whatever) Does he have a problem being around people who are praying? will he be a team player when the solider make a circle to pray? My brother tells me about how at the end of the day the solider made a prayer circle. Is this guy ok with that? The Christian guy, (love how you made sure the Christian was painted in the criminal light but whatever) was the domestic violence yelling? was it 20 years ago before he found God? He is living a model life now?

What about an atheist married guy who has a history of violence? How would feel about him being added to the troups?

so all three can be candidates and eliminated.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Actually silvermist

It depends on what you have on your criminal background. The OP says domestic violence but it doesn't give any details so it would be hard to tell if the Army would clear that from his record or not.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:39 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• A
    not B because of the don't ask don't tell policy. I don't like, but those are the rules.
    not C Because there is a law that prohibits people who have be convicted of domestic violence from handling weapons. It is call the LAUTENBERG AMENDMENT This keeps them from being allowed to handle weapons with in the military. This has been true since 1996.
    It has nothing to do with faith or sex.
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 12:02 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I know a man who was convicted of domestic violence and pot possession and legally owns a gun.
    Anonymous