I hate putting out my personal business, but I need ideas

How do I get my overbearing MIL off of hub's and my joint back account? I have posted a few times about the probs we have with this. I finally said something to him last night when MIL made a rude comment to me to "stop buying clothes for the girls" when a.) I NEVER buy anything out of fun b.) he spends the $$ foolishly and she thinks that's just a-ok, so it's fair to buy mcdonalds every other day rather than come home for lunch and spend $ at the bar but it's NOT ok to buy needs for our kids & c.) the kids are always in handmedowns so HOW! can she say that comment? He says he doesn't want to remove her bc she "helps out" & he feels better. But we haven't saved a dime & all she does is meddle. I can't open a separate acct because then I'd have to go to the army & have his direct deposit changed. This is really killing me & he just doesn't see it or doesn't care.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 6:42 AM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• I'd open my own account and just start taking the direct deposit out and depositing it in the other account.

FYI- I wouldn't stand for either of our parents being involved in our finances.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 9:23 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• well he needs to get another account. thatll solve the problem.
    too bad if a little extra time needed to do so, if its important than do it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:55 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• First of all if he is the one in the army. He has to change his Direct deposit to a different account, not you. So if he does not want to, he will not do it. You can have a separate account opened and have some of your money sent directly there from the other account(Like a savings account). So MIL will never see what you all are doing with it.

Answer by louise2 at 7:24 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Fine. Just open up a new account and leave the old one open.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:37 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Looks like he won't change so you have to do the changing. Get a job and your own account.
    Anonymous

• Get your own account. I am not sure why a grown man needs his mommy on his bank account, that's a bit odd. So take your money and get a different account.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:14 PM on Nov. 7, 2009