Do solid foods drastically change the color of baby's poop?

This may be a silly question but I just want to make sure this is normal. My dd just started eating solid foods (I gave her bananas yesterday) and this morning her poop was almost black. It scared me because the only time it was that color was after she was born. Is that normal? I'm hoping it was from the baby food, but I just want to be sure. Thank you!

nicolemstacy

Asked by nicolemstacy at 7:14 AM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh yeah!!!! You know how bananas turn black if you mash them at let it sit out? That's the poop. Carrots will make it orange. Blueberries will make it black/blue. And if you feed her stuff with artificial coloring (cereals, etc) you may get bright neon green! Lol!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:20 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• hahaha Scared us, too! We just started giving him peas and his poop is little green slimey gobs. hahahaha That is always fun.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:30 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• For a really scary time, try giving your kid beets!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:45 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Lol thank you ladies sooooo much for the advice and the laughs! You've really made my day! :-)
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 8:35 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Oh, most def. Everything micheledo posted above is 100% accurate. It's funny! It's like playing a a diaper surprise game! We used to bet on colors! Oh, and if you eat too many blue charms blowpops, your own poo will turn green! I think I ate like 8 that one day when I was younger and my poo was a bright green! Not sure if it's TMI, but just wanted to share...
    cmorellana

Answer by cmorellana at 10:19 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Yes. The baby's poop will actually change as the foods do. Sometimes it will be a little yellow, other times green, and so on. As the foods change so will the poop, and the consistancy will change with the foods as well.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:55 PM on Nov. 7, 2009