How can i keep my cat from getting into my X-mas tree.

One of the kittys we have is about 7 months old and kitten hyper still. Last year when we did'nt have her the older cats did'nt bother with the tree. I just know this cat is going to either tear it up or steal my ornaments. its a pre-lite fake. How do i keep her away from my tree??

EarthHippy

Asked by EarthHippy at 7:33 AM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Holidays

• try to catch them in the act and either scare them with a bean filled can,or with a watergun or spray bottle.Aim for the face,they hate getting wet! They will associate the two,and hopefully stay away.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:06 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Maybe get one of those cat climbing towers. (don't know the name)
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 10:46 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I am in the same situation as you are... I have older cats up until this past summer and we were adopted by a beautiful, but hyper kitten...LOL.... and WOW! LOL... had a Halloween tree up... well let me tell ya, LoL... the bottom branches were off every morning... that tree rocked and rolled with him around... my mother gave me a cure for it, but that was after Halloween so I am going to try it on my Christmas trees (yes I have 2 going up) I will happy to share... (below)

"SCAT CAT SOLUTION"

5 tlbs. flour
    4 tlbs dry mustard
    3 tbs cayenne pepper
    2 tlbs chii powder
    2 qts warm water
    Mix these ingredients in a large watering can or pot or gallon...
    for plants sprinkle solution around ground/dirt to keep cats from snacking on
    plants
    For Christmas trees put in spray bottle and spritz bottom under of tree...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 6:23 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• i have attached the glass ordiments with twist ties to keep my son from breaking them when he was a baby, martha steward said to do that w/cats, and secure it to the wall with a screw in hook and fishing wire (cant see it.) i dont think you can keep it away. who wants chili sauce on their tree- smells festive!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:29 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Gmasboy- would that work to keep cats off my car? Like if I put it around where I park?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• The last time we had kittens, I got a 3 foot tree and put in on a small table or desk. The kittens didn't bother it then. When I was growing up, the non-breakable ornaments got hung on the bottom of the tree, so if the cats wanted to bat the ornaments, they won't break them.
    joyfulmom30

Answer by joyfulmom30 at 12:29 PM on Nov. 8, 2009