Whose insurance do I call for a car accident that wasn't my fault?

I was told call the other person's insurance but then again I was also told to call my own insurance. If I call my insurance will my rates rise and will I have to pay a collision deductible?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• If the accident isn't your fault, you call the other person's insurance. DO NOT call your insurance. Your insurance doesn't even need to know about it. You get a copy of the police report stating that it was the other person's fault and you call their insurance. If you call your insurance your rates will go up.
    jenlenr

Answer by jenlenr at 8:24 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Wow. I must have great insurance. I called mine and they took care of everything and my rates never went up!! They took care of contacting the other company.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:41 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Call your own agent. They will handle everything. Your company will pay for everything concerning you and then they will chase and get reimbursed by the other company.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:41 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Hey did you know that your company should pay to replace any car seats that were in the vehicle?
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 9:24 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• If you go though your company and *they* handle repairs, yes, you'll have to pay your deductible. Howvever, you'll likely get reimbursed for it if they pursue the driver at fault or his/her insurance company.
    I was in an accident recently, and my agent handled everything. In the end, the other driver--who was at fault-- was not properly insured and my claim was rejected by her insurance company. My company paid for repairs (minus my deductible) and is trying to recover costs (both theirs and mine) from the other driver. My rates will not go up as a result.
    shesajar

Answer by shesajar at 9:25 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• When I was in an accident that wasn't my fault I called my insurance and gave them the info from the other driver. They then handled all interaction between us.
    tiffanyp1980

Answer by tiffanyp1980 at 10:08 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I agree-you call yours with the info and they take care of it--that's why you pay them. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• In Pennsylvania we call our insurance company. I was the victim in 3 accidents over decades. Each time I called my agent and reported it; but when I answered the phone a few wks after one of my accidents, all of which were clearly, by the way, the other drivers' faults, I did not realize the party on the other end was actually the other driver's insurance repr., lying and saying he was with my insurance company. I argued with him a while because he was trying to say the accident was my fault, until it dawned on me my own company would not call me and do this, so I hung up, red hot in the face; but I had inadvertently because of his deceptiveness given him way too much info and he then knew what I would be saying in court if we wound up there. My company told me never ever talk to just anybody on the other end of phone who doesnt have your security codes or your ssn or something that tells you it is your agency.
    AkchlyK8

Answer by AkchlyK8 at 10:38 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• My agent always handles everything for me. They we call the other insurance and ensure that you get your car fixed/replaced and all other expenses taken care of, maybe even a settlement. That is what you pay them for, it is their job to do this for you. Not to mention that if the other motorist is underinsured your own insurance will make up the difference to you, again, maybe even a settlement, provided you have that kind of coverage. No, your insurance doesn't go up for an accident that wasn't your fault.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 12:08 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I always call my insurance to report, and give them the other person's information, ins info etc. Then since my insurance company is generally better, I file a claim and let them go after the other person's insurance. That way if their insurance company wants to be trifling about what they will pay, or if they will--and give me a hassle about how long it will take, rental car, who was at fault-etc. I still have my end covered and my car fixed, and my insurance company can hammer it out with the other one.
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 12:52 PM on Nov. 7, 2009