What does rent run in the state you live in? Taxes low? Crime rate low?

Looking to rent an apartment or purchase a lower income home. My son is in high school for 2 more years and want to find an area to settle for a long time and get a stable job.

litninbug

Asked by litninbug at 8:25 AM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• States have a wide range of everything. A rural area in Illinois is very different that Chicago. I suggest that you find a job and then move.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:36 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Tucson is very beautiful. We just bought a remodled home with all new paint, floors, and kitchen with a pool for $72,000. Our payment with insurance and taxes is $511. We live near the biggest park in one of the best areas of Tucson. My 21 year old son bought the home and will be getting the $7,200 first time homebuyer tax credit. He only needed $1000 towards the downpayment and then the first house payment wasn't for over a month. If you do your homework you can get great deals on houses right now in Tucson.

It's easy to find an apartment with deals like $100 move you in. There is a good bus system.

There is something great about the school system. Charter schools are free. The state funds charter schools and there are many high schools. They cater to student needs and interests and at some you can get college credit. There is a big community college and U of Arizona.

It's not as hot as Phoenix and more desert.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:19 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• About $800 + a month for a ranch style sided home with a basement. A brick ranch, probably around $900 to $1200. I'm from IL.
    HomeMakin94

Answer by HomeMakin94 at 10:29 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• 604 for 2 bed 2 full baths in Texas. Taxes are 8.25%. Not sure about crime, but where I live it can get bad sometimes.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 10:42 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• dont move to new york!! i live in rockland county, outside nyc and i pay 1300 plus utilities for a one bedroom apartment. i lived in tampa, florida and it was great, 750 for a one bedroom in a complex with 3 pools a gym right on the baby, loved it.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:20 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Whatever you do don't move to Cali or NY. PURPLbutterfly is right I lived in Westchester county for a yr. and prices are extremely high-paid 1250 for a tiny one bedroom apt+utiities. I live in PA-nice county outside of Philly. My townhome is 1200 a month, but I have 1320 sq ft. It's nice.
    Anonymous

• I live upstate New York also. I live in New City, ny it can be pricey, but i love it there. we moved here for the schools, they are awesome, about 13,000 people, crime on a scale of 1 to 100 we're at 7, so really low and rent for 2 bed house maybe around$1600, but i love the mountains and the scenery. There are other towns that are cheaper to live in, like congers, suffern, pearl river, those are nice too.
    Anonymous

• Well, housing wise, NE MO would be a good bet: Hannibal rental property runs around 350-475 for a good apt, 600-750 for a good home. Job-wise: zip. The housing market rocks, too bad no one has a job to pay the bills with. Unless you are a nurse or doctor, preferably with a specialty. My suggestion is to go where the jobs are then start looking for housing in the area.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:37 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• We live in Logan Utah. A couple years ago it rated the number one safest city in the country.
    Our rent is $450 a month (2 bedroom 2 bathroom...) and I think sales tax is 6.25% but honestly I'm not sure.
    Anonymous