Daycare...

Anyone know the best way to find a good daycare?

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 8:47 AM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Depending on the age. i would not put a child under 2 in a childcare center. I worked in centers before i started my own childcare. The baby doesnt really get the attention that is right. There are other children and usually 2 workers. do the math.. not good. Home childcares you can find a person who doesnt have a child you age. I would look for one that your baby is the youngest. If your child is over 2. I would stay for the whole day and watch what they do and pay attention to the other children see how the teacher interacts with them and what they do for work. Look at the walls if there are lots of activities then you know your child will stay active. Look for cleanliness. Look to see in the children have a sink in the room to wash hands. Look to see if a bathroom is in the room or do they have to go outside the classroom. Go outside and see if the area is covered and age appropriate.. i could go on an on :) good luck
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 9:21 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Word of mouth I use a private lady (the real deal-licensed etc..)
    My boss used her, which was weird because it was her bosses sister!
    Good Luck!
    NOV1999

Answer by NOV1999 at 8:52 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I just want to caution you to thuroughly check out everyone. I did liscenced daycare for a handful of years. It cost me like $100 to get the license and NO ONE EVER checked on me. It was a joke.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 9:19 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I agree that day care centers are not the place for toddlers for the reasons above and because of spread of disease.

Try to find someone that only takes care of her children and your child. Look for someone that is into attachment parenting even if you aren't so much. That mom will treat your child gently and use good parenting skills with your child.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:59 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Why would she get somone who is into attachment parenting if she's not? That's going to get that child more attached to the babysitter, not her. I put my son in daycare at three months and he got so much attention it was sickening sometimes. There are good daycares out there. I work at one-it's not so good though. I just don't like it. Word of mouth is the best way to find out which ones are good and which ones aren't so good.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:38 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• My son is 16 months and he is very very active and loves to be around other kids his age. And with my younger son only being 3months old, they cant play together yet. I want him to have some play time and maybe some learning thrown in there. But he needs the entertainment and friends.
    MommaWoods

Answer by MommaWoods at 2:37 PM on Nov. 7, 2009