What ever happened to Christmas Clubs?? Not bashing I don't understand...

It appears that people are just living off the well earned money and not thinking about Christmas until the very last dollar is stretched. A bunch of posts are "nicely" asking for Christmas help from others, which is fine, if you aren't making much or your finding no jobs,( and some aren't) but why isn't anyone just planning on having Christmas Clubs anymore? Is it bad to invest........ last I knew that type of investment was not touchable until the last of November.. Is it hard to pay on homes because of .........what a high phone card bill? Cable too high?? Are we losing our senses of saving that much just this year?? We too aren't out of debt since just diapers... I feel it. But we could do with no cable easily and a couple other extras.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• I don't understand asking for Christmas presents in general. But that is probably how I was raised. We had several christmas' that my parents couldn't do anything. Those years we made things for each other. I remember one year my mom wrapped her Little Women dolls from her childhood and gave them to me! We would write letters and make coupons for each other! Those were some of the best Christmas's I had!! At this point we are only planning on spending $10 per kid, but that may end up being $0. If you can save ahead of time that is great (and normally what we do). But if you can't purchase anything I still don't see why you need help.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:23 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I think you are talking about Christmas Club bank accounts. I think they are a great idea. I don't know if any banks have them any more. Of course you can set aside $20 every week for Christmas in your savings but if an emergency came up you could always be tempted to use it.

People have different things they can do without. We don't smoke, drink anything other than water, eat little, for a few days haven't had paper towels or toilet paper, wear clothes multiple times, and a lot of things I never thought we would do.

The city we live in has a diaper bank, you can get free diapers!
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:35 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I agree on saving money. My hubby and I don't have cable, i leave the lights off for the most part, We live in florida so it hasn't gotten too cold yet (get to leave the AC and heat off :), we keep out house at AT LEAST 73 in the summer, we make cuts everywhere. But i'm not going to ask for presents for my son for Christmas, it's not a big deal to me. He'll only be one, and my hubby and I have decided to do 3 presents at Christmas, and that's all they get. Gifts can get expensive.... cell phones, i pods, etc. as kids get older. It's easier to start them out when their little not expecting a lot then breaking it to them when their older lol
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 9:43 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Yep I relate to not having the paper towels, and napkins, we usually just take more home from fast food places, hmmm.. we steal. And we need to have certain things but not others like I relate to wearing the clothes over even 3 days sometimes, I am not dirty so I see no reason not to. What ever it takes, I knew this yr. would be hard anyway, Christmas is really not about the what did you get, but how much creative side do I have. I see some still turn their heads as if nothing is different and asking is not shameful, just at christmas it's like we should be all thinking ahead and not catching up with our habits year after year, ( we do this, it's annoying!! ) ANY way I can I try to save. I don't worry about economics just getting ideas, and I do want to be aware of how to change if possible, ( even not having this internet is a way to save huge amounts each month. )
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Because these people depend on other to pick up the tab for gift giving for their kids, like charitable organizations. So, in turn it enables bad spending habits to continue. They get real good in going to all these place and asking for hand outs.  There is no shame in it anymore.

Anonymous

• It's the internet and people are trying to get something for nothing. Christmas for kids pulls at emotions. Just ignore it and be glad you don't fall for their scams.
    Anonymous

• I agree OP. They've got a million and one excuses for why they can't do this or can't do that. COME ON PEOPLE! Even $10 a month gives you $120 by the time December rolls around. Is it that hard to just not eat out once a month and instead save that money for Christmas?

I'm not saying everyone is like that- but sometimes it sure feels like that.
    Anonymous

• I am a bit confused. There's people asking for Christmas gifts from strangers? That's special. Christmas has really turned into something so vile and disgusting. If your child needs expensive cheaply made material goods to have a happy holiday, then honestly, something is wrong.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:11 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I would use a Christmas Club account if it weren't for the fact that I'm looking for good deals all year long, not just after October. My major shopping is done for this year except for stocking stuffers.

I don't get the "OMG It's Christmas!" shock....December 25th comes EVERY year! That's 52 weeks to take a few dollars each week, even $2 or $3, and set it aside.

Wanna make your kids' Christmas special? DO something with them! My kids often don't remember what they got for Christmas last year without doing some serious thinking, but they remember traipsing through the snow to find our Christmas tree at the tree farm or making the ornaments we made for the tree or the gingerbread house we made or the year the dog ate the gingerbread cookie ornaments off the tree...
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 3:38 PM on Nov. 7, 2009