How can I get my stepdaughter to stop eating with her mouth open

Her mom and mimi don't try and stay on her with that, so when she comes to us and we eat, she chews with her mouth open. That drives me crazy and he and I always remind her to chew with it closed. Do you guys have any tips???

Steppy551

Asked by Steppy551 at 10:52 AM on Nov. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Smack her head off everytime she does it, it wont take her long to learn. I hate when kids do that, she needs to learn matters or stay away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• um ya...smacking her probaly isn't going to help...My dd does it sometimes too---I would say just keep trying to remind her when you're around---maybe explain how it looks or that it is rude and her friends and family think its rude/gross
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 11:15 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I did explain to her that people don't want to hear that and that it's rude....but I'll tell her that and then the next minute she's smacking her food again...it's so frustrating since her mom and mimi don't stay on her about it
    Steppy551

Answer by Steppy551 at 11:41 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Don't smack her head off, what idiotic advice!!!!

Tell her that if she can't eat with her mouth closed, she eats by herself. When you are sitting at the table and she eats with her mouth open, give her a warning and if she does it again, pull her chair away from the table and tell her she can join you when she is ready to use proper table manners.

You can also sit next to her and when she chews with her mouth open, look at her, take a bite of food and chomp so she sees how gross it really is.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:02 PM on Nov. 7, 2009