What do you think of shock collars for dogs???

I have four dogs,we don't use them. Our neighbors have two ausie sheep dogs and they have them. The do not bark. I think it is mean and unatural for a dog to not have his voice. What do you think??
Oh,we live rural too!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Pets

• Well, I personally do not like them either. But, as far as your neighbors' choices, that is their business. It doesn't matter what you think or how you feel, it's not your issue to deal with.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I think there are better ways, i would not use one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• i hope those people dont have children.

whats the point of having dogs that can't bark? how do you know if something nefarious is a foot? dogs are the best alarm system for criminals, fire, storms, etc.

i hope those people get embarrassing facial rashes for the rest of their lives. soulless pricks.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:17 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I don't like them and don't think they should be allowed to be sold. I've thought about using one on my youngest son when he was a teenager:) Just kidding.

We live in Tucson in a neighborhood where just about everyone has one or two dogs, mostly pits or pit mixes, that live in fenced yards 100% of the time. They never go in the house. No one plays with them or talks to them. They don't go on car rides, so obviously not to the park.

The dogs bark all the time. All night. We have only lived in the neighborhood a few months. My dog doesn't know what's up with all the barking. She still hasn't settled down. When they bark she thinks something must be wrong. She is only out in the yard alone about 5 min each time she wants to potty. The rest of the time she is with a person. It is a different culture.

We talk to the big dog next door & give him treats through the fence. We are his bffs.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:26 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I personally DETEST them there is so many better alternatives such as Citronella Collars they work just as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I don't agree with them. Dogs bark just like people talk. How would ppl feel with one on?
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:16 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I hate them, it is called training, training, training. Positive training is more effective and lasting. Some people have had the vocal cords remove so the dog don't bark. My dog is a whinny (my fault)and barks. But it is at the mailman, the construction workers wondering around. It is at the strange and scary bumps in the night (rare), and other barking dogs. I would feel less secure if my dog couldn't bark.  That is my cheap and personal alarm.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 2:05 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I think they can have a place in dog training IF you TOTALLY know what you're doing, if you aren't a dog trainer then it's really easy to make things worse using them then better. Also, I would never use a "bark collar" one that shocks the dog whenever they bark. But if you know what you're doing and you're consistent then a remote shock collar does have it's uses. I got 2 remote shock collars for my dogs when DD was like a month old. They listen well if they start barking and I tell them quiet, but there where to many times when I was nursing DD or putting her to sleep when they would start barking outside and I couldn't yell quiet. So the remote has a "warning tone" after hearing the warning and being shocked once or twice they learned to stop barking if they hear the tone. It's just like me telling them "quiet" but I don't wake DD up doing it. I've also felt the shock for myself, so I know just how high it is.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:10 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I don't use collars of any type. I think controlling a dog by the neck is cruel & dangerous. I use a harness only when taking away from the house. As for training them not to bark at everything that moves, I use a water bottle. after a few times, they stop as soon as they see me pick it up.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 2:15 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I've used a bark collar, not a shock collar. It works. we have rules here that if your dog barks constantly for at least 20 mins or like an hour off and on (its something similar to that) then people can complain and you will be given a warninig and after that the police will write you up a ticket. The bark collar is a vibration, not a shock, that gets the attention of the dog to correct the constant barking.
    Anonymous