H1N1 shot while pregnant?

is anyone else scared to death to get the shot? my doc says its fine but there's so much they don't know. i'm still trying to decide if i should even get it.

islandmom85

Asked by islandmom85 at 11:06 AM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I got mine last monday and I feel fine.
    vickyburns

Answer by vickyburns at 11:37 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• not doing it. everyone has a horror story on every medical treatment, so i know this isn't unique, but a family friend who is pregnant was rushed to the ER after she got it. even before i heard that i wouldn't do it. it's media BS hype. the vaccine isn't well tested, and certainly not tested for pregnancy. they dont even know if the vaccine will actually protect against the flu. nope nope nope. i'll stick with handwashing and good nutrition.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:14 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• see i got the seasonal flu shot with no probs. i don't get it. i wish it wasn't so new.
    islandmom85

Answer by islandmom85 at 11:18 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I asked my doctor and he said many pregnant woman are getting and it seems to be doing just fine with them....but......they do not know what the long term effects on the baby or mother are as of yet. That scares me to death so i would rather not get the vax and just be EXTREMELY cautious with where i goa nd who i interact with.
    momie_of_munch2

Answer by momie_of_munch2 at 11:40 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I really debated about getting it. I'm 34 weeks and just got it on Wednesday. I was nervous about it but its really no different than getting a seasonal flu shot. My doc explained that the side effects from getting the shot will be nothing compared to the problems if you or your newborn get H1N1. That would be much more serious! Besides, if you don't get the shot while you're preg, your baby can't get it until he/she is 6 months. Another thought I had was I'd rather go through the pain from the shot than have my baby go through it later.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 11:52 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Everything you do to protect yourself from the seasonal flu, will protect you from H1N1 as well. Wash your hands with warm water and soap, keep a bottle of purell in your purse and use it often when you go out, wipe down shopping carts with clorox or lysol wipes, sneeze and cough into your elbow, do not shake hands (or shake and then use purell), don't share drinks or silverware, use your sleeve to open doors and turn knobs, take vitamins. It's simple protection. None of us (6 in the family) has ever gotten a flu shot and none of us has ever gotten the flu, jut use simple precautions and you'll be fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I am 34wks and I was afraid to get it, my children are 8 and 11 and have never gotten it and I haven't gotten it either, but I am thinking about it. I ask my doctor about what should I do all she said is every pregnant woman is getting it, but that doesn't mean because every one is getting it I should to. I am still thinking about it. For now I am just being very careful with washing my hands ALL the times.
    Criss33

Answer by Criss33 at 12:11 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Not to sound totally naive, but I know of at least 8 people who have gotten swine flu, and it doesn't really seem like as big a thing as people are making out. Three of these people were children under 3, one of them being a 2 month old baby. My cousin's son...and they all had no idea it was the flu until they went to the doctor for another reason and were tested because her daughter was getting over what she thought was a cold. It was swine flu, so teh family was tested...and they all got it including the baby. Her husband just thought it twas a really bad cold. Both kids bounced back quickly... so I think after a nurse herself told me she was iffy about the vaccine and considering all 8 people I know who got it were totally fine...I'm just gonna stick with vitamins, safety precautions, and good sense.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 1:31 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I am 40 weeks pregnant and I didnt get the H1N1 shot. I dont go many places, I stay home with my 1 year old for the time being and he hasnt gotten the shot either. My mom had swine flu and she felt really bad, but it wasnt life threatening.
    shannonre

Answer by shannonre at 11:10 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• i got the h1n1 shot after my cousins baby passed away from it,her baby was 3 weeks old i rather be safe then sorry her son got the h1n1 from school and carried it to her and the baby.......i am 27 weeks pregnant and got it 2 weeks ago i would rather get the shot then let my lil guy get it when he is born i even got my other kids done too......think about it......it's scary....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Nov. 8, 2009