Am I wrong because this really gets me mad?

I work in a place that is about 75 percent Hispanic. That doesn't get me mad. What gets me mad is how they get to speak Spanish all day and talk and talk and talk. But when someone who speaks English talks to someone they get a special job to do. It really irks me that people get mad about sterotypes yet they really don't do anything to change them. All the Hispanic people work in the kitchen. Why? Because they don't speak English. I really don't see what the rational is behind going to a new country not speaking the language and yet getting a job. Without having to learn even the phrase " Excuse me".

sweetpea532

Asked by sweetpea532 at 11:17 AM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i completley agree. i lived in florida for a couple of years and went to a community college, and was going to transfer to a university but i was told that i couldnt transfer to the university until i took spanish 1 & 2 because i need to know spanish since there are so many spanish people in florida. i have NOTHING against spanish people at all, i have spanish family, but HELLOOO they are comming to my country!!! why do i have to learn their language?? they should have to learn my language!! its ridiculous.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:24 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• and i do also hate it when i walk into a store and two spanish people working there are talking to eachother in spanish none stop the whole time, like cmon STFU that shit is annoying.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:25 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I have no idea, I wonder the same thing. if we went to a country that didn't speak english they would expect us to learn their language. But in America hispanics are catered to. If Spanish is the closest language to English why the heck can they not learn it? At least a little anyways!
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 11:25 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• maybe because there is no official language in the United States.. was this country not founded by immigrants, where everyone spoke a different language? i can see learning the essentials to get you by, but if 75% of the people where you are speak your language, then would you feel the need to speak in any other language?
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 11:26 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Well i would just find a new job or just speak with someone else in the company you work in. Someone speaking another language around me i want to know what they are saying cause if they have something to say about me I want to know. So for yourself I would learn there language and not let any of them know then youcan really figure out what they are saying and get to the bottom of this all. I don't think you are wrong for being upset about this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• My son works in an upscale mostly organic grocery in the meat department in Tucson. He is 21 and is learning Spanish from the bilingual employees and the internet so he can help customers better. They don't have many customers that speak only Spanish because of the area the store is in but he thinks its fun and wants to be as helpful as he can be.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:38 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I hate that. especially in my local laundromat where they play the spanish channel and me and the kids are just sitting there like WTF?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• There IS an official language in the USA .. it's  called English.. we have been speaking it for 200 + years now!! I agree immigrants should have to learn the language at least enough to be able to function here. Our ancestors had to so why not immigrants of today.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Be glad you have job and the other 25 percent of you have not yet been replaced with spanish speakers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• There were just the first THREE sources I found... it goes on...

"Many people are surprised to learn that the United States has no official language. As one of the major centers of commerce and trade, and a major English-speaking country, many assume that English is the country's official language. But despite efforts over the years, the United States has no official language."

"The United States does not have an official language; however, the majority of the population speaks English as a native language (some 82%)."

"Do you know what is the official language of the United States? If you answered English, guess again. But don’t feel bad, the vast majority of people would answer that English is the official language of the United States of America. English is the de facto language since, at this point, it is the most widely spoken language in the nation."
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 11:56 AM on Nov. 7, 2009