Need others thoughts on H1n1 I have newborn twins and school age kids that want to play indoor sports(basketball)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Please remember the H1N1 mist is the live virus so make an informed decision. If your older children get that, they are contagious and your infants can actually get the full blown flu from them. Anyone that gets the mist can spread the illness because they shed the live virus. Be sure your family gets the actual injection of you have small children. But I agree, I think it is better safe than sorry and get the vaccination. Its your call.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 12:05 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• If you breastfeed I wouldn't be concerned.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:31 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I am no expert! But from what I've read the h1n1 vaccine is made the same way as the regular flu shot so side effects should be similar if any occur. However I was also told that because of the hasty production, they used mercury in the h1n1 vaccine. Now I'm not 100% on the effects of the mercury but I know it is NOT an ingredient I want my child to get. I have decided against the vaccine but that is my decision after lots of lengthy debates and searches for information on the vaccine. You have to ultimately do what YOU think is right for YOUR family. Good luck momma
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 11:36 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• i have a 15 month old and a 1 month old. we are in the house practically all the time, except for occasional trips to the park or the store. and we live out of state from the rest of all of our family so we basically do not have much contact with. no one in my family received the h1n1 shot., and what happens...my 15 month old got the swine flu! i took her to the doctors at the first sign of a high fever and she tested positive for it. i was so scared for her and my 1mnth old! but the doctor told me that the media is blowing it out of proportion bc it is new and different. she prescribed tamiflu and she was better within 2 days! my 2 month old has been fine, and believe me, i did not quarantine my 15 mth old from him. that would have been impossible! he is breastfed and didnt catch it. i do not recommend the shot, and as long as youre breastfeeding and there are no underlying health conditions they should be fine :)
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 11:49 AM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Even if you formula feed, I wouldn't be concerned. Geez.

Let your kids play their sports. What are you going to do, keep everyone in a bubble? Wash hands, don't go out if you're sick and don't go somewhere you KNOW people are sick (friend or relative house). Just the usual precautions. H1N1 is no worse than the seasonal flu.

Get those old enough vaccinated if that will help you. And for crying out loud people...ask for a preservative free one if you're still believing all the crap about high mercury levels in shots.
    Anonymous