Can Rice Krispie Treats be considered breakfast?

My 9yr. old son and I are having a debate about whether or not rice krispie treats can be considered breakfast. What do you think?

smariew

Asked by smariew at 12:28 PM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Kids' Health

• LOL...probably not! At least not a healthy one.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:29 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Probably, but not a well-balanced one. I guess technically anything you eat in the morning could qualify as breakfast...you just have to consider nutritional value, of which Rice Krispies Treats have very little.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:31 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Cut it into small cubes and serve it like cold cereal...it can't be worse than captain crunch. It is not nutritious by far, but you could eat it for breakfast.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:38 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Depends on the day of the week, ha ha. Seriously though, I figure if the kids eat healthy 90% of the time, they can have what ever they want the other 10%.
    Anonymous

• Well, it's no different than Rice Krispies with Marshmallows. But in my house it wouldn't qualify as breakfast.
    Anonymous

• On occasion, why not? Atleast he is eating something. My son doesn't normally eat "breakfast" foods for breakfast, he will eat pizza, peanut butter sandwiches, soup. As long as he eats, I could care less what it is.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:11 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• No. Rice Krispies aren't a healthy breakfast, either.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:02 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I can't believe how many of you mothers answered that it is okay for a child to eat that crap for breakfast. Why do you think there is so many obese kids today. Mothers need to wake up and take on some responsibility.
    Anonymous

• "I can't believe how many of you mothers answered that it is okay for a child to eat that crap for breakfast. Why do you think there is so many obese kids today. Mothers need to wake up and take on some responsibility."

Bite My BUTT!
    My kids have a well balanced meal everyday. What is one day with a crappy breakfast? I would just make sure that they get two well balanced meals and two good snacks later in the day. Rolls eyes that you would ASSume that the kids don 't get good nutrition the rest of the time.
    Not even one mom said it was a great choice for breakfast and most said it wasn't a good choice....why jump down our throats?
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:47 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Lots of sugar in it. Try a bowl of oatmeal or cream of wheat.
    Anonymous