What EXACTLY is it about breasts that has everyone so uptight about seeing them in public?

I can't wrap my mind around this. Why do we care? I mean, we show off parts of our bodies that are used directly and frequently in sexual acts (our mouths and hands) but we freak out if we see a naked breast in public. I'm so confused! If we don't care about someone showing their hands, then why do some people care about seeing a mother nurse her baby without a cover? Or hell, a woman going topless? Why did we decide, as a culture, that THAT part of the body was so taboo?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 12:53 PM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Oh Ati 13....Your big mistake here was expecting a philisophical conversation from the dumbasses on cafemom :) I would have left out any reference to breastfeeding because breastfeeding being considered offensive is an incidental of breasts being considered sexual. The women on here cant comprehend your question because, like most Americans, they can't see past their own nose. They are uncultured. Breasts are sexual because they are! Lets just completely forget about the crap ton of countries that believe breasts to be completely non-sexual. The ones that believe the hair, ankles, etc are sexual. I have never left the east coast but I know well enough that America is not the only country and our ideals are not universal! I agree it probably came about due to puritanical values and men being in power. Why we allow this ideal to exist boggles my mind!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 7:28 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I don't have any lol so i 'dont want to see yours!! J/k I dunno, I dont have a problem with people breast feeding. My mom in law hated it though she basically told me i was gross. OH well i fed my baby i didnt care what she said!
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 12:55 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• i dont think its "taboo", i just dont think its something that you show to anyone. i dont want my SO looking at another womens boobs, i dont want to look at another womens boobs, i dont want random people looking at my boobs, and i wouldnt want someone looking at my daughters boobs. its just a personal area that you keep to yourself & certain special people. breastfeeding is a special person thing between you and your child thats really not ment to share with everyone. i dont feel this way just because my "culture" does at all .. it just seems obvious to me that you dont share everything about yourself with everyone and anyone.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:59 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• The law decided for us unlike in parts of Europe. So many aren't used to it and some do find other women's naked boobs offensive. I do not. I guess people are uncomfortable.
    Anonymous

• The funny thing is, it's mostly men who have a problem with seeing breastfeeding in public. Maybe they think it's improper use of breasts, hah.

Apart from that, it seems next in line with a problem are the mothers who don't want their children to see a woman breastfeeding - for what reason, I have no idea. Because they are too lazy to teach them that babies feed from breasts? Because they think it's gross? Because they don't want their children to learn the facts of nature?

And after that it seems to be young girls or women with boyfriends who don't want their guys to see other breasts.

Really, I have no idea what is so scary about breasts, or breastfeeding to some. it makes no sense at all to me, because I was raised around women who openly breastfed, and it's nothing weird for me. Breasts don't scare me or make me any more uncomfortable than hands.

*continued*
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 1:03 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• But I do LOVE it when some crazy people say things like "well taking a crap is natural, do you want me to do that right in the middle of a cafe?" - I get huge laughs out of people who can compare the two.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 1:04 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Well.....I am shy. I don't like undressing in front of anyone. I won't let a sales person "fit my bra"...LOL. I won't strip for anyone. In public, it is inappropriate for anyone to show any part of the body that is usally covered by clothing. Sorry....I am just not in favor of public boob displays. ANd I am not ANON. LOL.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 1:30 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• First of all seeing boobs in public and seeing someone breast feed are two different things.

I guess I would ask why people feel the need to flash theirs just because they are breastfeeding.

We are supposed to teach our children that certain things are private and we don't show them in public, plain and simple. I'm sure most woman don't want to see men running without pants for any reason.

If you choose not to be discreet when breastfeeding, then you can not complain when the pervs are looking. I read this out loud to my friend on the phone and my husband over heard. He said "No one is molesting hands." I think that sums it up.

i suppose you'll let your 15 year old daughter go topless then right? There's nothing wrong with it, right?
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 1:30 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• The over sexualization of females. My daughters school required girls to wear shorts under shirts and dresses. She is in pre-k. Also a friend of mine was told her daughter must wear an undershirt under her clothes for martial arts, the boys didn't have to. I mean she is wearing the typical cloths that covers her and she was 6 there wasn't anything there to show that the boys couldn't see in the mirror themselves. It is laughable. When I was little no one would have ask either.
    Breastfeeding is gross because people see breasts more as a sexual thing instead of a food source. Also the past 2 generations were told that formula was better, thus many did not breastfeed so may not get it. I know that was the case with my Mother and Great Aunt. They really struggled with my breastfeeding past 6 months, in public or on demand. They both did formula.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:30 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• most people are just ignorant, when i hear somone say gross, i just want to say "do you say gross when you see a baby cow nursing or a cat or dog nursing?"
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 1:32 PM on Nov. 7, 2009