Moms with PPD

How do you handle it? How do you force yourself o take care of your baby? I'm only 1 1/2 post pardon and I feel like I just want to hand the baby to some one, anyone, and say he's yours. I want to give him back to the hospital. I do love my son, don't get me wrong, I just don't think I love him like I'm supposed to. All I want to do is curl up in bed and cry myself to sleep.

Jessie1689

Asked by Jessie1689 at 1:10 PM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• enjoy him while you can, they grow up fast. before you know it he'll be asking to borrow the car. ask family or friends for help if you can. try to think about all the fun you will have when he gets bigger. good luck.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 1:25 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Wow! How sad! I truly can not understand where you are coming from! I have two babies and its not easy at times and I would like to hand them over to someone to get some relief for a little while. Especially, if they are crying for what seems like no reason. I do not have to force myself to take care of them though. Was this a planned pregnancy?
    marilyp

Answer by marilyp at 1:33 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• No, but I always wanted him. I have normal depression so that's likely why my ppd is so bad. I never could stand the thought of someone else having my baby but now that he's here it's different.
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 1:47 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Babies are cute and cuddly looking but they are a lot of work and it can be very stressfull. The first few months are you taking care of them. All they do is eat, sleep,poop/pee and cry. It can be hard to love something that just seems like a lot of work. It gets better when they start to develop a personality and they actually acknowlege you a smile and coo and can love you back.
    Anonymous

• I have to commend you for not having an abortion. You looked so cute and happy pregnant and I bet you have a beautiful baby I just feel so bad you feel the way you do.

marilyp

Answer by marilyp at 1:59 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I would talk to your doctor about getting anti-depressants...my depression can hit me pretty bad where i don't want to do anything...I know how you feel but the anti-depressants have really helped. you can message me if you want just to talk without judgement and without rude comments. I know it is not your fault and it is just they way you feel. you can feel free to ask me any questions too
    8firsttimemom8

Answer by 8firsttimemom8 at 2:07 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• The first few weeks are hell for just about everyone. Are you co-sleeping?? That can -really- -really- help with the adjustment afterward.

It's a lot harder to cope with depressed feelings and your hormonal imbalance when you are extremely sleep-deprived.. I think once you start getting more sleep you will feel quite a bit better. I suggest giving co-sleeping atleast SOME a big shot... don't worry.. by 2 to 5 months whenever your baby sleeps better you can start phasing it out and putting baby in their own bed eventually always and they'll never know the difference.
    Eat enough - drink enough fluids - get a little sun - vitamins - go out with baby and get some fresh air - co-sleep.. and find someone you trust to talk to about how you feel.. If you ever feel like just walking away and leaving or hurting your baby, call your mother or your doctor immediately and tell them how you feel. This does not make you a bad mom.
    Anonymous

• I know exactly how you feel, I feel the same way. My son is a week old and I feel horrible for feeling this way but I can't help it. If you need someone you can relate to, you can message me. I feel the same way and I don't know how to change it either. I hope you feel better soon =)
    Jacki88

Answer by Jacki88 at 2:49 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Don't beat yourself up just because you don't think you feel how you're SUPPOSED to feel. There's no ONE way to feel. Quite frankly, I didn't bond with my daughter until well into three months, and I didn't have PPD.

You have to try to look at this rationally and deconstruct the romanticization that comes along with bringing a baby into the world. Society wants you to think it's amazing, and it is, but it's not some instantaneous thing for most women. It takes time.

Hand your baby off to someone if you need to get some sleep and feel NORMAL. It takes time.
    SlightlyPerfect

Answer by SlightlyPerfect at 3:11 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Oh, and I have to disagree with Anonymous about co-sleeping. I hated that. I put her in a bassinet and then her crib.

My bedroom is for adults only.
    SlightlyPerfect

Answer by SlightlyPerfect at 3:13 PM on Nov. 7, 2009