Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i have a personal question that i'd like some input from the ladies in this section about. . .

I'm posting anon only because I don't want this q to come up in a google search of my screen name. Many of you will know who I am from earlier. That's fine.
My grandpa died earlier last week. Evidently, even though there are five grandchildren, he left everything to me. The house has fifty grand or so on a mortgage, I cannot afford to pay a mortgage If I am not living there. My welfare abusing prescription drug addict mother currently lives in the house with my sweet thirteen year old sister.
What should I do?


Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • I'm thinking you have some pretty unhappy members of your family right now.
    You will have to pay the mortgage somehow or you will lose it so I'd tell your mom she will either find some way to pay the rent you need or she will have to move. If you really want the house then you will have to tell her to move out or move in with her. I know that would not make the family bonds stronger for sure but it's all you have. If you want to sell the house and your family members want her to be able to stay in it maybe they want to buy it. Maybe several of them would want to jointly purchase it. Then your mom could stay in it. I guess it all hinges on their relationship with her.
    Either way, it's not your fault you can't afford the payment but it sounds like if you don't do somthing your mom will have to move sooner or later anyway.

    Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:05 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

  • Who is the executor of your grandfather's will? Sounds like that might be you. Oh joy! You will have to sell the house or else keep it and pay the mortgage on it, either monthly or in one lump sum, and then take the penalty for early payment if there is one. (Because the lending agency loses mega bucks of interest money from early payment.) If you sell the house your mother and sister will have to move, and you get to be the one they will blame. If you are the executor, you also are the one who has to either pay all your grandfather's remaining bills or make arrangements for their dismissal. I'd hire a lawyer and make him do all the dirty work and be the bad guy. Besides he knows all the laws and can save you some money, probably not as much as his fee will cost, but the stress relief is often worth more than what you will have to pay him.
    (I had to settle my grandparent's estate, and this was my experience.)

    Answer by pagan_mama at 1:22 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

  • Normally I would say to keep the home and rent it out until the market begins to show signs of recovery. BUT, knowing your story, I would SELL IT--whatever the market will bear, in whatever condition it is in, and let the new owners decide what to do with the current occupants!

    Use the profits from the sale to spruce up your own home, invest in your family's future, and perhaps you'd even be able to afford to house your sister?

    Answer by LoriKeet at 1:26 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

  • pagan_mama is right, get a lawyer! I was executrix for my grandfather's estate. A lawyer handled some of it, I wish I had let him do it all. I ended up with people mad at ME!

    Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:28 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

  • Please find a lawyer who specializes in Wills, Trusts, etc. Family issues get too complicated and family members can try to screw each other. The house is a valuable asset and you don't wnt to lose it through a foreclosure. A lawyer can helpwith the sale of it, if you want to sell. A lawyer will keep everything fair and legal. Good luck.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

  • Get a lawyer. It doesn't sound like your mother would be at all willing to keep the house in salable condition, and it's hard enough to sell a house in this market when you're competing with foreclosures and short sales.

    Answer by NotPanicking at 5:11 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

  • Evict her.

    Answer by jesse123456 at 6:54 PM on Nov. 7, 2009