AMA's Endorsement of House Health Care Bill Sparks Internal Uprising...

The American Medical Association's much-touted endorsement of the House health care reform bill has triggered a revolt among some members who want the endorsement withdrawn.

Some members are outraged that the group's trustees made the endorsement without the formal approval of the organization's House of Delegates.

On Monday, delegates will vote on a resolution offered by some members that, if approved, will withdraw the AMA’s endorsement of the bill.

Many of you have used this backing as proof of the goodness of this/these bills. If the backing is pulled will it change your mind? Or at least make you look more closely at the bill?

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 1:46 PM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 1:47 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• There are many Drs who do not agree with Obamas idea of health reform and they do not belong to the AMA and don't appreciate being lumped in with them. Even the ones regestered AMA want to have a say.
    Either way it doesn't change my mind because I do my research and I know the actual number of Drs in the AMA is smaller than the number of Drs not in the AMA. Obama is just trying to get people to come to his side. Unfortunately the ones who are uneducated about it all may just do that.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:55 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I know my brother and nieces don't agree with it.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:59 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I thought you did not care of the AMA supported it?
    Anonymous

• I dont Anon...but many of the other side DOES...THATS why i was asking those that supported it and used the AMA as a source of why thought about this. Did you READ the question?

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:33 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• They met in Huston to make sure the public understands that the members didn't endorse anything, yet our president continued this afternoon to claim AMA backing. Just like the backing he got from the NAE. I have asked several members who say there was never a vote from the membership that they are aware. It is all smoke and mirrors.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:53 PM on Nov. 7, 2009