How do you feel about the social networking craze of our youth these days?

I am doing a group paper in GEN/200. Our topic is How young is too young for social networking. I am just trying to get different prospectives from parents with youth that may or may not be apart of social networking and if not why... And if so are there any concerns for your children? How do you monitor their use... ect. Also please reply with any stories of rule breaking, these will remain annonymous.
Thank you!

MandaK4213

Asked by MandaK4213 at 2:06 PM on Nov. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• I am a mom of three kids. My oldest is 14, my twins are 11. My oldest is just now allowed to use Facebook. She doesn't have any other social networking sites. The computer is in the dining room, I know all her passwords and I check her actities often. She is not allowed to approve fb friends until she tells me. She primarilly has friends from school and church that are her age, only a few adults. These are also people we know in the real world. We have talked at leangth about the dangers of cyber space and what she is allowed to tell others. Also, the amount of time she is allowed to spend on the computer is limited to one hour on week nights and 2 on weekends. Good luck with your class project, hope this helps you.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 4:58 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• As long as you raise them to be careful (Like teamquinn is doing). I think its fine. I honestly wish it had been around when I was 13. We moved a state away from all my friends that year and it would have been great way to keep in touch with them and my cousins. I have a 14 yo boy who could care less about the computer unless its WOW, and a 10 yo girl who likes to IM but she only does that with people I know (like grandma). It helps with her spelling too.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 8:27 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I don't think anyone under 16 needs to be on the internet unless it's for homework.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 9:17 PM on Nov. 7, 2009