What would cause my dryer to smell like cigarette smoke?

I have notice a smell in the hall and bathroom that smells like cigarette smoke. We live in a townhouse, so I thought it was from the neighbors smoking. I let some clothes sit in the dryer overnight and my clothes smell like cig smoke. I did not link it to the dryer but I do start smelling it everytime I run it. The bathroom and laundry room are in the same area. No one in this house smokes. What could it be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Home & Garden

• When I worked at a salon we had this SAME problem right before we bought a new dryer. There was lint that had gotten pushed back into the machine the was burning from it not being cleaned out from every load through-out the time it was used. We were told it stop using it immediately!

Kaaatie

Answer by Kaaatie at 2:22 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Yep probably needs to be cleaned out lint smells bad when it's burning and that is a major fire hazard.. We've had the same thing happen.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 4:00 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Hello, I just answered your other question about this same thing and wanted to make sure you read it because I agree w/what the other people said here about it being a fire hazard.. GL!
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 3:42 PM on Nov. 8, 2009