Please help me!

My son was a week old yesterday and it has been rough since we have brought him home. I understand babies sleep alot. He wants to sleep all day and is up all night into the early morning. I would like some tips on maybe getting him to sleep less during the day and more at night. I'm so tired and my husband works a dangerous job (with locomotives) and I feel bad that my husband has to get up at night with him because I'm beat. Please help me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• make sure in the day time you have lights on and the tv on and noise and stuff, and at night time, keep the lights off or dim, and no tv and very quiet, no playing, just feeding & thats it, and start a bed time routine like a warm bath, lotion & then a warm bottle.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:43 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• It's not unusual for babies to have their nights and days reversed because they have no sense of time. Do what you can to keep him up during the day. Try bathing him to wake him up. Unfortunately a week old baby sleeps a lot anyway day and night so it won't be easy. Just try and do what you do at night during the day. Try and put him on a strict schedule and do your best to stick with it. Once you get him adjusted to that he will be better at sleeping at night.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:51 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• like she said, rotuine, do dinner bath lotion read a book or something, feed him then rock him to sleep.the only way i could get any sleep waas to sleep with my lil one,she is now 17months and im still sleeping with her
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 2:52 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Wow. This happens a lot more often than you'd think.

Often, I've read that kids are on 12-hour sleep cycles (maybe not at one week old, though, but soon after that, like six weeks).

First, are you BFing? If you are, try taking 3 shots of gin and then BFing about 20 minutes later, as soon as you start to feel it. That will help put your child to sleep.

Another remedy, if you're not BFing, is Benadryl.

But this is all temporary! Try it once to see if it works. Maybe you can ease the transition that way.

You have to help alleviate the kid's confusion between night and day.
    SlightlyPerfect

Answer by SlightlyPerfect at 3:05 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I would try to keep him awake as much as possible during the day. Move his legs around make funny faces, and so on. Just try to get him to stay awake. he won't sleep through the night right now, but the more you keep him awake during the day the more he will sleep at night. ALSO SLEEP WHEN HE SLEEPS! If you have trouble sleeping when the sun is up, put a blanket or something over your window. Just remember when he sleeps SLEEP! Let the house get a little messy, make sure you are resting your body! :) Hope this helps hon!
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 3:14 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I babysit a little boy during the day that is a month younger than my daughter. He slept all day and stayed up all night, it took a couple weeks to get him on the same schedule. I honetly don't remember what I did to get his days reversed. I just remember it was a LONG process.
    Good Luck
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 3:22 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• He has his days and nights mixed up. This is very common with newborns and he will straighten out his body clock within the next few weeks.

Like the first poster said, keep the house light and bright during the day. Do not take special care to be quiet during the day when the baby is sleeping. Starting at about 7pm, dim the lights and quiet the house down to gear him up for sleep time. Also, buy a while noise machine and only use it at night...I use one with both of my babies and it has saved my sanity.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:29 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Keep lights on, normal noise in the house should be going on, invite some people over to get some rest every once in a while during the day's .....and at night you would keep lights off or dim, minimal noise, and you need to try to put him down at the same time for naps and for bedtime...adjust it every once in a while....so you can see how long it will take him to wake up so you can get so many hours of sleep and then take care of him. I did not have help the second week. My husband stayed home the first week from work (which was paid luckily) and he went back the following week, had the same troubles and she was on a schedule in about three days.
    Ellie4040

Answer by Ellie4040 at 3:31 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• OH yeah, she is 5 months and sleeps all night now and has since 2 1/2 months.
    Ellie4040

Answer by Ellie4040 at 3:32 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• First rule: Sleep when baby sleeps. You should be getting your rest during the day until baby's schedule becomes more normal. DH works all day... he needs his rest as much as you do, but he does not have the opportunity to rest during the day like you do. Also, if he is giving baby expressed milk and it was expressed during the day it may actually make her day/night confusion worse. Milk produced during the night contains a balance geared to help baby sleep... milk made during the day is made to keep baby alert. Nursing him at night will help to calm him back into sleep.

Like others have said, keep things bright during the day and dark at night... he'll get it eventually. In the meantime, rest with him during the day.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 4:18 PM on Nov. 7, 2009