How to Cook a Turkey WITHOUT Butter?

This will be my first time cooking a Turkey, and I've seen some great ways how to do it, but they all involve BUTTER! We are dairy free....so if anyone knows how to do it without butter, it would be greatly appreciated!

ethans_momma06

Asked by ethans_momma06 at 2:48 PM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I never use butter on my turkeys. I use the Reynolds cooking bags and I follow their instructions on the package. My turkeys turn out perfectly every time.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:56 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Olive oil or chicken broth, depending on if you are looking to rub it on the bird or just adding liquid to the pan.
    Anonymous

• Use a really good high grade extra virgin olive oil. Get the one that says it's intended for sauteing. The cheaper ones have a bad taste.

You can also use peanut oil. Yum.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:22 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I put a spicy rub on the turkey and bake it in a bag or covered. If you cover it, remove the cover for the last 45 minutes or so to crisp the skin.

I don't use oil or butter.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 3:57 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Leave your turkey in brine over night, then just throw it in the oven, Just be sure to keep basting your turkey!
    Anonymous

• I also do not use oil or butter. For my turkey, I loosen the skin of the turkey and insert a few sprigs of rosemary UNDER the skin, then rub the skin with italian seasoning. In the cavity of the turkey I cut an onion in half and stick the onion in the cavity. Roast as you normally would. If you notice the skin browning too fast, tent it loosely with aluminum foil. It doesn't NEED oil, the skin has enough natural oils to make it crispy.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:48 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I just baste it with the drippings or broth made from the neck
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 7:17 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I don't use butter on it either! I do spray it with a veg./olive oil or like I can't Believe its not butter. If its Dairy I'm Sorry anything like that can work too! I also use Reynold's cooking/Baking Bags to pure perfection! I like to put paprika & black pepper seasoning on it! And follow the instructions on the baking bag! Best of luck to you! Make sure you do have it unfrozen, washed/rinsed & pat dry before the spray, Seasonings & all! Do make sure to remove the gizzard & other items from the cavity! I made my first Turkey when I was 17. It was a 24 lbs. Turkey! If I can do it you can too!! No problem ! Just be sure to have a thermometer in it to put up! Or have one to test to be sure its done! Be sure to give yourself enough prep. time & baking time and some Rest time before carving! Sorry if I rattled on too many tips! I'm like that! I try to be caring & helpful. Best of Luck! Enjoy!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 7:55 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• We brine our turkey every year. Everyone loves it! We use Alton Browns recipe. Check it out...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe/index.html

emdred

Answer by emdred at 2:29 PM on Nov. 8, 2009