loose teeth and missing teeth, brushing

I know this must seem like a lame question, but my parents only ever had me brush my teeth minutes before a dental appointment so I truly don't know what I am doing here. My son is 5 and oral hygiene is something he;s 100% on board with. He brushes alone for fun sometimes even. It just occurred to me, he could have a loose tooth at any time now. What then? Brush slower, softer.... what?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 3:03 PM on Nov. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• He doesn't need to change his brushing at all unless it makes him hurt. He should continue to brush like normal after he loses teeth too so that nothing can grow in the empty spot to damage the new teeth. If you have any major concerns you can call a dentist and ask or ask his pediatrician.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:40 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• We didnt change anything about the way my dd brushed...if a tooth was loose and she would brush it harder to make it come out faster hehe---but other then that, it was brushing as normal.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 3:39 PM on Nov. 7, 2009