Cornrow tips for beginner?

I am wanting to start cornrowing my 2 DD's hair. We are caucasian but they do have very curly and somewhat nappy hair (blond but still fine). I get how to "do"the cornrows but what do you do at the ends as most all bands are too big for such fine child hair. (they are 3 & 4) also I would love to bead the ends (how is this done to hold the beads in place) also do you have to only use hair beads? Craft beads have so many options! and should i use dental bands or ouchless or what? (small town so we only have like a super wal-mart so something easy to obtain would be nice. Also my 4 year old has such long hair how do corn rows work on super long hair? also any websites pertaining to these questions would be helpful. Thanks much!

hotrodmomma

Asked by hotrodmomma at 3:42 PM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Don't do that to your girls hair.
    Anonymous

• honestly WHY??
    It looks so trashy on white people Im sorry. Oh and I am white.
    You also can lose ALOT of hair that way.
    Why not just let them have pigtails instead of trying to make them something they arent
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:49 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• You do know blacks dont ever say THEY have nappy hair what is wrong with you .
    Course hair is a more proper term.
    If they have fine thin hair they will lose more hair that way
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:02 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• OK to answer your question. If you can braid their hair you just braid the hair to the ends the you fold it in half and put it through the beads. The you push the bead up on the hair and you leave one down, wrap the hair around it so the peice is up against the other hair. You then wrap a rubber band around it and pull the rest of the beads over the rubber band. I think i explained that right. I wouldnt do that to my kid's hair it they where white. I have 2 daughters one has NAPPY yes NAPPY hair!! I can braid her hair my other daughter though has straight white people hair and I would NEVER put braids in it. I don't care for white girls who put braids in their hair. But if you want your daughters to have them then go ahead. If you need anymore help let me know.

Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 6:33 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• For the love of everything holy and sacred do not put your 3 and 4 year old through the torture. For one thing, you said they have fine hair, that means you are going to have to make it "dirty" the braids are NOT going to hold. By dirty I mean putting hair product in your child's hair to ensure the hold. No matter how "nappy" you think the hair is, it's not corse enough to hold the braids properly. So you will end up going through the process every day because it's not going to hold. It is just an extremely bad idea because your child's hair is not corse. If it's nappy use a different comb and detangler, don't try to put cornrows.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 7:15 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• In answer to your question- use the small rubber bands. The black ones are good- but they also come in different colors. Good luck! They are your children, do what you want to their hair until they are old enough to take care of it themselves. :-) have fun!
    Cherri82

Answer by Cherri82 at 10:38 PM on Nov. 9, 2009