What gov't agency helps pay burial cost?

My husbands nephew was killed on Halloween night. The family was unable to pay the burial cost, so my husband borrowed the money from someone & we will be making payments on it. Someone said there is something called 'victim's assistance' in california that may help cover the cost. Does anyone know anything about this or anything that would help? I've tried to look online, but I'm lost. Thanks!!

rainandresmom

Asked by rainandresmom at 3:53 PM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My heart and prayers go out to you and your family. Do you have the 2-1-1 information system out there? They might be able to help. And does the funeral home have NO info for you?
    You didn't say if someone was responsible for your nephew's death or if it was an accident. If he was a victim of someone else, there does seem to be a victim's rights agency in CA:
    California Victim Compensation and Government Claims Board
    Victim Compensation Program
    P.O. Box 3036
    Sacramento, CA 95812-3036
    1-800-777-9229
    info@boc.ca.gov

I'm just not seeing any info about funeral/burial expense in there.

Good luck.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:42 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• thank you SO much. i will try and call on monday, i appreciate it so much!
    rainandresmom

Answer by rainandresmom at 6:30 PM on Nov. 7, 2009