How long should my daughter's voice be different after tonsils out?

My 4 yr old daughter had her tonsils and adenoids removed 4 days ago and is still talking very different, nasally (if that's a word) and high pitched (like a munkin from the Wizard of Oz). Is that normal? When should it go away? Should I be worried?

JoanP

Asked by JoanP at 4:56 PM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Her voice will never be the same.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:31 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• It took my little boy about a month to fully recover from having his T& A removed.
    momto4boys03-07

Answer by momto4boys03-07 at 6:12 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Her voice will be fine. The only reason it would change is if her Larynx was damaged, and that is highly unlikely because they do not generally intubate for tonsils and adnoids. At 4 days post op her throat is still quite sore. Make sure she is drinking plenty of water. Actually, swallowing helps reduce they pain because it stops spasming of the muscles in the throat. I have lived through 3 kids post tonsils and adnoids. Just watch for bleeding. Chances are she is talking funny because she is 'gusrding' attempting to protect the area. So she is trying to talk with as little movement as possible.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:14 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• grr.. that should read "guarding"..excuse my forgetfulness about proffreading
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:15 PM on Nov. 7, 2009