help first thanksgiving dinner I'm making!

what are must have side dishes for ur thanksgiving dinner? what ur family like and what to make them....

and what do u do with the turkey what kind of things u put inside and on the out side of it?

enaNianza

Asked by enaNianza at 5:04 PM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Holidays

• Stuffing inside, good ole bread stuffing. Needs mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce. Peas, maybe carrots or corn, depending on who is coming and biscuits/gravy.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:05 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Stuffing on the inside and butter on the outside. Broc and Cheese Cass., Pasta Salad, Pumpkin Cheesecake
    Anonymous

• for the turkey i butter that bad boy up! Wash the turkey! I mix my seasonings (salt, pepper, parsley) in the butter, then rub the butter all over the outside and in between the skin and meat. Pulling the skin up off the meat like that gives you crisper skin (if you like that, we do). Then I mix one box of stuffing together and stuff the turkey. My mom always boiled the giblets and added them to the turkey I dont. PLEASE remember to take the giblets out of the turkey lol. Then cook for recomended time. SERIOUSLY LET THE MEAT REST AT LEAST 10 MINUTES before you cut into it! thats how you get a moist turkey. Side dish must haves :stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy made from turkey juices, rolls, green bean cassarole, cranberry sauce. Dessert: pumpkin pie and either chocolat pudding pie, or apple pie. havent decided which this year. I know its alot but thats what my mom makes, so I have just carried it on. Happy Holidays!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 5:24 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• At our thanksgiving we normally just cook turkey as is... side dishes are cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, sweet potatoes pie, green beans, rolls, stuffing, mashed potatoes, Then for dessert we have chocolate, apple, and Pecan pie. Then we have Gram(sp) cracker cake (basically ghram (sp)crackers and whip cream. It's a thing we learned from my grandmother) and we also have mints and vienna hot dogs cut up with cheese and crackers in the morning during the Macy's Day Parade..
    fireangel0310

Answer by fireangel0310 at 5:35 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• This yr I am not doing Thanksgiving, but normally what I do is make 2 med size Turkey breasts and a small ham (we are mostly white meat eaters) my dh makes the stuffing the night before in a large roaster... we then have up to 6-8 different types of deserts (apple,pumpkin,pies cheese cake and chocolate cake, cookies of all sorts with toppings of course)
    Now the following are what I always have with the above...
    Corn (either on the cob or can)
    Green beans (french style creamed in butter and garlic) or a green bean salad...
    Mashed potatoes (fresh, and sometimes I add fresh chives or garlic to them)
    Gravy (mostly canned)
    Biscuts
    Cranberry sauce
    2 veggie trays and dipps
    1 fruit tray and dip
    I think that is it...LOL... I have very rarely stuffed a turkey... I usually put my turkey(s) in the oven frozen with lots of butter/garlic/chives/cloves on ham/parsley covered with foil...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 6:49 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Anonymous

• sides we have green bean cassorole and cranberries
    potoatos sweet potatos and rolls.

Last year was my first year LOL
    I just put itin one of those turket bags with ALOT of butter and salt and pepper.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:20 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• i did my first thanksgiving ourselves last year so i know the panic you went through...its good to get as much done the day before as you can so there is less to stress about on the actual day...so the day before this is what i made
    Apple Pie
    Pumpkin Pie
    Deviled Eggs
    Stuffing
    Green bean casserole
    Sweet Potato Casserole
    After those were done on the day of thanksgiving i take out the stuffing i had made the night before and stuff the bird and get it going in my GE roaster.
    Then i take out the green been casserole and put the french onions on it, and then with the sweet potato casserole i put the marshmallows on it and stick them in the oven to warm up.
    After that i start whatever veggie we also want, and start homemade mashed potatoes.
    I serve all this also with biscuits, and cranberry sauce...and after everything is done cooking i stick the two pies in the turned off oven so they can warm up. and thats it!!!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 7:28 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• Turkey- butter on outside. I don't stuff the inside. Go to martha stewart's website for great turkey tips and recipes!

Sides-
    Dressing
    Rolls
    Mashed Potatoes
    Gravy
    Sweet Potato Casserole (this is a must)
    Green Bean Casserole
    Broccoli Casserole (another must)
    Layered Salad

Desserts
    Pumpkin Pie, Pecan Pie, and this year I think I may try a cherry pie instead of apple

I make all of the pies and rolls the day before. Plan out your menu and make your lists in enough time so that your ingredients are fresh- but you beat the day before thanksgiving madness at the grovery store. This time of year, coupons are geared towards these big meals- so keep an eye on them and they may save you a few bucks.

Good Luck!
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 9:41 AM on Nov. 8, 2009