Voter misunderstanding or Bait and Switch?

NY-23's Owens Backs Gov't Option, Breaks Campaign Promise
Congressman-elect Bill Owens was sworn in at noon today.

Owens indicated in a press release released shortly afterwards that he was now in favor of the the "Affordable Healthcare for America Act" bill in direct contrast to his earlier position during the election campaign.

According to Politico.com, Mr. Owens assured voters that he felt the public option had no place in the health care reform bill. Contrary to that position, Mr. Owens now indicates that he intends to vote in favor of the bill even though it now contains a public option.

So, did the voters misunderstand Owens' stance on the subject, or did he misrepresent his opinion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:29 PM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Don't be silly. Politicians aren't allowed to have an honest change of heart. Either he straight up lied or he's *gasp* waffling.

Changing one's mind over time is one thing, changing it in the span of 3 days where the key difference is on day 1 you were up for election, day 2 you were elected and day 3 you have two years before you can be held accountable for your actions...that's something different entirely.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:06 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• He misrepresented his his position on that and other things.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:34 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• He changed his mind?
    I thought Bait and Switch referred to sales advertising---for example, advertising a TV for $200. dollars but when the customer comes in to buy it, the sales person tries to sell him one that costs $400. ...bait them , pull them in with a really good deal on a TV but try to sell them on another,more expensive TV.
    ANYWAY, this Owens guy reconsidered,it seems. Changing ones' mind is understandable. We all do it.Right?
    Anonymous

• Typical politician. They say anything to get elected. He knew he would never get elected if he let it be known what he really intended to do and how he really thinks.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:18 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• ANYWAY, this Owens guy reconsidered,it seems. Changing ones' mind is understandable. We all do it.Right?

Don't be silly. Politicians aren't allowed to have an honest change of heart. Either he straight up lied or he's *gasp* waffling.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 6:26 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Is it ethical to change one's mind when one was voted in by people one represents that were under the impression that one's stance was a certain way? Changing one's mind isn't relevant when you are representing a jurisdiction.

Anonymous

• So are you telling me that if you supported our current President and one day hell froze over and he decided to reduce the amount of government and spending, to give tax breaks to corporations, and decided to do other things that are generally considered Republican in nature, you would be a-o-k with it? I don't think so.
    Anonymous

• Well, anyway, I would think that he would wait more than - I don't know - 30 minutes.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:44 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• LOL! Good point, Jesse. How many people change their minds about important issues overnight?

You know, today I'm for gay marriage, tomorrow, WHOOPS I changed my mind! It doesn't work that way.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:51 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I wonder how long it will take him to say he was always for the UHC and we must have been mistaken?
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:59 PM on Nov. 7, 2009