I have a 5 yr. old girl basicaly she was my miracle baby I was in a tragic car accident when I was 4 mothes preg. My question is she has been sneaking in my bed everynight and yes it is my fault because I let her for so long. Not only that at bedtime I read her a book hugs and kisses but some how ended up staying in her room till she falls asleep like she is a baby! PLEASE someone give me advice on how to change something I allowed for so long?

jen2330

Asked by jen2330 at 5:48 PM on Nov. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• First, feel GOOD about how things are right now and GOOD about wanting to change it.

Since she's five, you can start explaining that she's a big girl, needs to sleep in her own bed and ask her what will help her to stay there. Maybe a new comforter/bedspread. Maybe she can have a radio or CD player that she can push a button to listen to music if she wakes up. Maybe you can put a special doll or picture of you by her bed, if SHE is having a problem with missing you at night.
    If it's YOU that's having the problem with wanting her with you all the time, you seem to be on the right path with understanding the why you are like that. (and it sounds like a good reason to ME!)
    What does your hubby say?
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:09 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• So because she is a miracle baby that means you should spoil her and let her do anything she wants?Your the parent so act like it!!
    Anonymous

• you know who ever answered my question anonymously is not only rude but sad that you would evenbe on cafe mom with teribale advice i feel sorry for you because iam a real person and you are not anonymously i am a wonderful parent please dont answer no more of my questions
    jen2330

Answer by jen2330 at 7:13 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Now you have to just be firm, with her and with yourself. You are in for an uphill battle, especially if YOU give in. You decide the rules, tell her, write them down for yourself and leave them on the fridge where you will see them, lol....
    Did you ever watch SuperNanny? The kids aren't "bad" they just need the proper guidance. I think you seem to know that and you are doing the best you can! Just keep it up and ask your husband for help!!!!!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:13 PM on Nov. 7, 2009