what's the best way to clean AND store veggies & fruits

I know its important to wash everything before you eat it,but what is the best way? I don't think water is enough to wash off all the chemicals ,is it? And before you post,"only buy organic"......sometimes it cost to much and not all I eat I can get it that way. Also,what is the best way to store them so that they last a long time? I'm tired of stuff rotting so soon :(

SherriX2

Asked by SherriX2 at 6:03 PM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Don't wash til you're ready to eat - washing before storing is the quickest way to make it go bad. Don't buy more than you can eat in a couple of days, unless it's something that can store longer, like apples, carrots, etc. Berries & a lot of other things only have a very short shelf-life. To wash - get a new spritz bottle. Mix water & vinegar, spray on fruit/veggies and wash. You can also use a peroxide rinse. Neither one will harm you or the fruit/veggies.
    Anonymous

• Thank you, anyone else??

SherriX2

Answer by SherriX2 at 6:40 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• If it is not organic, don't eat the peel

Answer by rkoloms at 8:20 AM on Nov. 8, 2009