Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child Support jurisdiction question


CP and NCP both live in California and currently CS is being deducted from NCP paycheck.

CP is moving to another state. What happens with the child support? Does California continue to collect and send it to the CP out of state? Does a new case need to be opened in the state where the CP has moved to? Who has jursidiction over the collection and distribution of support?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:08 PM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (2)
  • It sounds like you might need to call them not CM.
    I would imagine everything should stay the same or you should have gotten some kind of notice of somekind, besides the location hopefully that is the only thing that changed. GL

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

  • The money is still collected by the original state. If you want to have the court keep track of it you can apply for it at the new state and one state mails it to the new state and that state mails it to you. Mine was established in Ky. Ky collects it then sends it to FL where I live and FL sends it to me

    Answer by admckenzie at 6:17 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.