At what point did you combine your money?

When did you and hubby combineyour money?

When you got engaged?
After you got married?
Still do not have our money combined........ in which case please give reason or special circumstances. (example - you get child support)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:11 PM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• My first husband- immediately bcuz I was a stay at home mom and relyed on paying the bills with his earnings. My second husband- we have been married 3 yrs, approach the subject once a year, and he has no desire to combine anything.
    Anonymous

• When we got married. We didn't live together b4 we married.
    Anonymous

• My money is mine and his is his if he needs money then he asks and if i need money i ask. We don't go without what so ever. Bills are paid and the children are taken care of if he or I need something we get it.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 7:31 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• We have shared everything since we got married and still do, and always will, what is mine is his and what is his is mine, 50/50, we have been together 38 years.

Answer by older at 7:34 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• i'm not married or living with my BF, but i think that if we move in together, i'd be okay with combining the money.. not ALL of it, but at least going half and half on the bills that we have. the rest of the money would be considered "each their own"-- the money that i earned, would go towards whatever i want (my son- not my bf's... or just saving up). and his earned money would go towards whatever he wanted.

when/if i ever get CS and i dont ever need that money for emergencies (i refuse to spend that money on fast food), then that money is considered my son's and hopefully i'll be in a position to never have to use it so it can go towards his college funds. (yea- this is me wishing).

i do think that even after marriage, i'd still keep a seperate bank account, for emergency money and stuff.
    Shy_Dia

Answer by Shy_Dia at 10:36 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• We did it when we got married. We didn't live together before we were married either. We had our own account at the same bank. My mom had been on mine and his dad had been on his. We just took them off and put us on. The one that was his, we don't even use anymore. Everything goes into the one that was mine. I pay the bills and get everything we need. He gets anywhere from $20 to $50 for the week to buy whatever he wants.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• When we decided to get married, though we both keep separate money, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:37 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• we did it after we got married. however we did live together for only 2 months before we got married. I highly suggest waiting until marriage. it's easier to sort out if God for bid you split up.
    Anonymous

• I think we actually did it the day after we got married.
    We do however, have separate savings account just in case. I'm quite certain that if one of you dies, the state freezes all account that have that person's name on it and for a brief period of time you're kinda SOL until they get the estate settled. So we try to keep a small amount of money just in case.
    Anonymous