I am potty training my 2yo. We are using the method where he is naked all day, and he hasn't pooped in 2 days because of this. Should i become concerened at some point or put a diaper back on him unti he poops?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:44 PM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Totally normal. I would NOT put him in a diaper. Two days without a bm isn't a big deal. Just make sure there's plenty of fiber in his diet. He'll likely be ready to go soon. You may end up finding him hiding to poop on the floor... also normal. Keep his stools soft by offering plenty of fruit and water, and then just wait it out. Have him sit on there 15-30 minutes after a meal or whenever he usually does his business, and try to distract him with a good book or something. Once he's had one positive experience with it, he'll know not to be afraid. My daughter trained at 19 months, straight from diapers to undies. He can do it. Number two can be an issue whenever you do it, but a lot of experts say the big-time stool refusal stuff only gets worse the older they get.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:46 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I would because I knew someone whose daughter had problems with constipation because she had problems with using the potty. She had to be taken to the doc more than once because of it.
    Anonymous

• I've never actually heard of anyone using that method. Everyone I know just put regular undies on them and let them be. You set a schedule and take the LO to the potty and have them try. Being in undies makes them feel the poop or pee easier too and they don't like it at all. Putting a diaper back on would be a huge step back IMO. If you need to, just do diapers at night and naps, but during the day maybe try undies... he may just not like being naked as a jay bird, KWIM?
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 7:51 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Well boys are most deffinantly the hardest to potty train...try putting a diaper back on him until he poops again, and if he does with in the next day or so then try bribeing him with something you KNOW he loves. Tell him if he sits on the toilet and goes potty then you will give him what he loves. If that doesnt work try the old method once more. if he still doesnt poop in a couple days after you put the diaper back on him, consult a doctor.
    ready4mybaby

Answer by ready4mybaby at 7:54 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I agree with ready4mybaby; I have a boy and potty training was so difficult with him. He was just so busy doing other things that he didn't care about peeing or pooping on himself...A MESS! I ended up taking and giving back things that he loved and it worked.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 7:59 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I don't think he's ready.....mine was almost 4....boys can take longer...if he is resisting, then I would wait and try again in a few months....it's not something you want to push---good luck!
    Anonymous

• He's not ready yet. If you keep it up, he'll become impacted and have to see the doctor. That is a horrible thing to go through, and he'll resist training even more if that happens. Just back off for now. Put a potty in the area he is in most, and get books and videos for kids about using the potty. Take it slowly.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 8:22 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• but he is great wwith peeing! He goes in his potty, loves to put the sticker on his chart and get his M&M when he pees. so i don't thing its an issue of he's not ready.
    Anonymous

• I tried to make my son ready at age 2....Well he's not on my schedule...He's on his...lol...I put his potty out, books by and I just let him come in with me.........in Sept...he came and told me he had to potty...and that was pretty much it for us....for a boy...my son was pretty easy........but I just kind of flowed with what he wanted to do.
    SoKamele

Answer by SoKamele at 8:31 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I've never heard of that method. There's a book called something like "I Can Poo, Too!" Check it out. Good luck :-D
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 10:42 PM on Nov. 7, 2009