My daughters preschool says that they have had less than 10 cases of H1N1 this year and that that is low, Is it really? It seems like alot to me.

mom2emily

Asked by mom2emily at 8:02 PM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Kids' Health

• 1) were they actually confirmed cases? In our school district there has been ONE confirmed case of H1N1, the rest (and there are a LOT) are influenza A, but not H1N1.

2) Consider the size of the school. How many kids get sick each year? So, out of that number, only 10 were H1N1. Low or high?
    Anonymous

• Try to get an H1N1 vaccination for her. If you are concerned then thats what you should do. Its either a shot in the arm or a mist up the nose. It does cost a tad bit of money though...just about 20 dollars or so. But its worth it...I got mine.
    ready4mybaby

Answer by ready4mybaby at 8:07 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I'm a nurse at a preschool with 800+ preschoolers, and 30 infants/toddlers. We have had 7 confirmed H1N1 cases, 6 pneumonia, 3 of them in intensive care (which I think is very unusual for the time of year) and probably 20 kids with diagnosed "viruses" where docs kept kids out for over 3 days. Our community is assuming these viral things are the flu and the local health dept says we have no seasonal flu, just h1n1 right now.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:10 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• i have read studies that h1n1 is not really as contagious as other flues and colds. they did a study with ferrits. kinda interesting, my sons school has had one confirmed case, i was scared when it came out last spring because he goes to montessori and it is very multinational there. but now i think h1n1 is more hype than anything. my son's school has 6 classrooms kids are 2 yrs- elementary school.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 8:10 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I'm getting her the vaccine, just been waiting the 4 weeks since her regular flu shot. I think there are less than 200 kids in her school altogether and these were confirmed cases. It is a lot isn't it? I don't know why they would say in there email that it was low. They sent an email out that a child in her class was diagnosed with H1N1 and I was under the impression that that was the only child in the school who had been confirmed with it, but I just read another email that said less than 10 in the school.
    mom2emily

Answer by mom2emily at 8:13 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• You do not hav eto wait 4 weeks between seasonal and h1n1 vaccines.

You have to wait between their first and second dose of each shot, but you can actually receive seasonal and h1n1 at the exact same time.
    YuppyMom

Answer by YuppyMom at 8:18 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• The local drs here are making kids wait a month between the regular flu vaccine and h1h1 vaccine. It's kind of moot, because it's almost impossible to get the h1n1 since they are only giving it to high-risk people.
    Anonymous

• Is that in the whole school system or just the preschool part of it?? Our School district has 2300 kids, with 10 confirmed cases of flu... what flu they can't tell us b/c doc's in the area aren't even testing for H1N1 specifically unless you are hospitalized for it.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 2:11 AM on Nov. 8, 2009

• It is suspected that our son had it despite the fact his nasal rapid test swab came back negative. He had a fever of 105, continued to have high fevers for about six days, was so weak he could not get out of bed, headache, and initially nausea. Mostly it was the fever and weakness he experienced.  His symptoms were consistant with other confirmed cases and he had many other labs and cultures done... all turned up nothing.  We only know it was viral.  Most likely he did have it.  He is very lucky because he is a high risk catagory for getting complications.  All I can say is I work in medical with people who are terminally ill and we have had a lot of family members of patients who have had confirmed cases with compllications.  Never have I known a year to have so many flu complications of this nature.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:14 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• So, 5% of the school population over the period of how many months? If it's all at once, sure that sounds like a lot to have 5% of the school out at the same time. But if 5% of the population has had the flu over the past 10 months (for example) then being spread out like that....that's one kid a month.

Not much at all.
    Anonymous