when do you let the baby just cry it out?

My ds is 5mths and is teething. Just getting the basics out of the way. Well he does fine during the day but when it comes time for bed time he starts to fuss really bad. Holding him doesn't help or rocking and he's not hungry and doesn't need his diaper changed. He also doesn't want his binky and he gets baby orajel. So at what point do you just let them cio?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:23 PM on Nov. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Frankly, you are going to get all sorts of women telling you that you should do this or that and if you do this you will scar your child or they will grow up to be a wuss. What you need to do is what you feel is right deep in your heart.

Talk to your child's doctor if they are someone you really trust. You should even have to make an appointment. Just call and leave a message and he/she or the nurse should call back.

I allowed my son to cry sometimes while I was taking a shower or doing a few chores around the house because sometimes the only thing he wanted was to be held. In my opinion you can spoil a baby and he was on his way there. Then just a week or two ago my son's doctor told me to allow him to cry it out at bedtime and we did. It worked quickly and tonight was the first night that we heard him cry at all in a week because he lost his paci. I knew, in my heart and with my instincts for my child, that he was ok
    rjpetty605

Answer by rjpetty605 at 9:37 PM on Nov. 8, 2009

• NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• NEVER
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 8:24 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• If he is teething, and crying he is obviously in pain he needs comfort from his mama.
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 8:26 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Don't let the baby CIO when they are crying in PAIN..comfort baby as much as you can. You are his mommy it's your job to make it all better, not ignore it.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 8:26 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• Trust me I don't ignore him I have yet to let him cio. I was just wondering if there is ever a time where it is ok to have him cio. Don't get me wrong I could never ignore my son he is my world. Just seeking some guidance from other moms. This is my first time goin through this.
    Anonymous

• I never let my son cry it out, when he is crying I am there, whether I can help him or not. I just feel bad when he is crying and I'm not there for him. I feel as if I am being neglectful. I understand some moms think about it totally different and to each their own. Everyone has different parenting styles. If you feel like there is absolutely nothing else you can do, then walk away and let your child CIO.

But teething and fussiness from being tired are 2 totally different things. Sounds like your baby is in pain. Try Teething Tablets, they work wonders for my son. Good Luck Momma, Remember this to will pass.
    Anonymous

• CIO is up to you and your decision whether or not you will do it. If you feel it will help your son learn then do it. But if that is the case he needs to be old enough to understand. I would say 9-12mths; but i'm not real sure. It's really whatever you feel and are comfortable with. I didn't do it until mine was over a year and I wouldn't really call it CIO at that point since it was more like timeout.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 8:33 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• I don't feel like it's ever appropriate to let a baby cry it out. If they are crying, they are doing so for a reason. Their wants are their needs at this age. I know it's so hard, I had a baby who cried all the time, not just at night. If she was awake she was crying, period for the first 4 1/2 months of her life. It was tough, but I got a sling and got through it.

That said, if you're on your last nerve and feel you might hurt the baby then by all means, put him somewhere safe and let him cry for 5 or 10 mintues to give yourself a breather!

Also, I will warn you, attachment parenting, including not CIO has a flip side. My daughter is almost 18 months old now, and she's very independant... but I have a hard time going from wants=needs to having to tell her no to keep her safe, and let her have her fit for it.

Good luck, mamma! I know it's tough, but you can do it!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:39 PM on Nov. 7, 2009

• So what are teething tablets exactly? I guess I've always gotten the advice about the orajel and the teething rings which he hates btw. And some off the wall ideas from older mothers about frozen chicken bones and stuff like that (gross btw I would never give him chicken bones). So again what are and where can I find teething tablets?
    Anonymous